Thread Replay value of games

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥947
I was just watching some E3 coverage and got to thinking about all of the sequels getting released. Which would you rather, a reboot of a franchise? DLC to enhance a current franchise? A completely fresh and new idea but release more rapidly?

Do you ever revisit games? How much down time do you need to revisit the game? Do you play a game, play it's iterations, then just stop with that game lineage?

I miss the comfort of knowing about a game style and writing style in a game that comes from consistency and longevity and I think that regular updates and DLC help respark the love for those games and aid in the replayability. I would rather a repatch to a graphics engine for instance and/or small tweaks to the game play to keep an old game fresh rather than a "reboot" to version 2 or 3.

Morrowind/Oblivion/FO3 and FO:NV have all had replay value for me, and a big part of that replay value is actually the mod community.

Other than picking up some stuff like the new Monkey Islands, and the Steam sale of GTA classics (Which have replay value when I feel like jumping cars and stuff) I haven't bought any other games in the last few years.

I guess I'm only willing to play a game if I think it's going to have that ability.

The fact of the matter is that I'm really only going to play through most SP games once, so it takes a pretty spectacular single-player game to get me to plunk down $60 for it. This is why I pirate all games that emphasize the SP experience and then buy the ones that actually deserve it after the fact (and the list of those that I've purchased is, like me, very short, but distinguished.)

The fact of the matter is that I'm really only going to play through most SP games once, so it takes a pretty spectacular single-player game to get me to plunk down $60 for it. This is why I pirate all games that emphasize the SP experience and then buy the ones that actually deserve it after the fact (and the list of those that I've purchased is, like me, very short, but distinguished.)

Do you ever revisit those purchased games at later times?

Do you ever revisit those purchased games at later times?

The ones that I've purchase that proved to be worth it? Sure.

Example: I've played Batman: Arkham Asylum through 5 times now. Arkham City is one of the few SP games that I will actually PRE-ORDER because of how great AA was.

Last edited:
the C&C/red alert series and the heroes of might & magic series are the only games I've replayed numerous times

I have been playing Empire Earth 2 for freakin years and years. I would love them to recreate that with today's technology.

Multiplayer, free play mode (you can keep playing after you beat it) and open world sandboxiness are usually what determine replayability for me. Games like Freelancer, Just Cause 2, and the Assassin's Creed series kept me busy for ages. As does multiplayer in FPS games like COD4, Crysis 2, Battlefield 2, etc., and co-op multiplayer in games like the Left for Dead series.

Do you guys find replayability in MMOs? I think WoW updates do quite a good job of keeping the old title fresh on today's hardware. I think Zynga does a good job updating weekly to keep you playing their games again and again.

What about the replayability of on-the-shitter games like iPhone games similar to Angry Birds? Do you find some games you go back to often?

WoW is built with replay in mind. When you look at all of the unique quests based on starting race, you can theoretically go through 6 characters during the first 40-45 levels and have a unique experience each time. And that's just if you follow quest lines. 7 if you level 1 character doing instances only (doing that as a protection paladin is ez mode. ) Once you hit 60 and outlands, though, replay value goes to shit since you will basically be doing the same quest line the entire way through. Hellfire penninsula can suck my balls.

I find the really excellent strategy games have awesome replay value. Specifically the Civs, and the Total War games. Especially total war. You can play that through a number of times and rarely will you have the same experience twice.

Needless to say, lately, I really haven't been gaming at all. Very little time. Skyrim could very well change that for a short bit/

Do you guys find replayability in MMOs? I think WoW updates do quite a good job of keeping the old title fresh on today's hardware. I think Zynga does a good job updating weekly to keep you playing their games again and again.

What about the replayability of on-the-shitter games like iPhone games similar to Angry Birds? Do you find some games you go back to often?

I replayed Guild Wars 4 times so I could have maxed out characters in each of the better classes.

Sniper Elite for ps2 is one game I've replayed tons and tons of times because it's so damn hard and you can improve your strategies every time and still get different results. I wish there was a xbox 360 update of this game. It's more creeping and planning to get that perfectly timed one shot than a run and gun game. I still do online play of this game because the online community is small and almost everyone knows each other and are very big on respecting the rules that the host decides.

Sniper Elite for ps2 is one game I've replayed tons and tons of times because it's so damn hard and you can improve your strategies every time and still get different results. I wish there was a xbox 360 update of this game. It's more creeping and planning to get that perfectly timed one shot than a run and gun game. I still do online play of this game because the online community is small and almost everyone knows each other and are very big on respecting the rules that the host decides.

http://www.gameinformer.com/blogs/members/b/shootist2600_blog/archive/2011/04/09/sniper-elite.aspx

For these reasons I can’t wait to see what Rebellion has on offer in 2012 for its new Sniper Elite V2 title. And that’s why you should keep this one on your radar.

Thanks! I love love the first game. It had the best sniper physics engine I've ever seen and you can decide how hard or how true to form you wanted it to be.

It really sucked to spend 30 minutes getting into the perfect place for a shot only to hear a group of solders behind you all of the sudden say "Vas is das?!" and starting opening fire on you and watching your prey make an escape as you're dying.

Last edited:
Plus it's a game I love playing with my son because we have to plan our attacks and coordinate our shots etc. It takes a lot of team work to be effective at it.

I was just watching some E3 coverage and got to thinking about all of the sequels getting released. Which would you rather, a reboot of a franchise? DLC to enhance a current franchise? A completely fresh and new idea but release more rapidly?

Do you ever revisit games? How much down time do you need to revisit the game? Do you play a game, play it's iterations, then just stop with that game lineage?

I miss the comfort of knowing about a game style and writing style in a game that comes from consistency and longevity and I think that regular updates and DLC help respark the love for those games and aid in the replayability. I would rather a repatch to a graphics engine for instance and/or small tweaks to the game play to keep an old game fresh rather than a "reboot" to version 2 or 3.

For me, story and or gameplay are most important elements as to whether or not I will replay a game. Most FPS/TPS no thanks, however a well written RPG yes please. Good user created mods and well developed DLC will add to the replay value.

So far as sequels are concerned, it depends on what they do with it. Ghost Recon/Rainbow 6 were great series until Ubisoft got their hands on them. They went from a slow paced realistic military tactical simulation to a run and gun button mashing console kiddie fest. The last game in either series which I bought was Raven Shield. Another example foe me would be the Thief series. While the story was good in Thief 3, the gameplay had changed for the worse (Dumb downed A.I., Smaller maps to accommodate consoles).

So far as spiritual successors are concerned, they have been mostly mostly misses whether it's Bioshock (System Shock) or Elemental: War of Magic (Master of Magic). The only spiritual successors that I have found to be decent are Fallout 3 (with Fallout: New Vegas the true successor to the original 2) and Dragon Age: Origins (Baldur's Gate series (this doesn't included Awakenings and certainly not DA2)).