Register for an adventure

Interested in learning new things that you never actually wanted to know?

Thread Remaining silent does not invoke one's right to remain silent. FYI

Discussion in 'useless chatter' started by Sarcasmo, Jun 1, 2010.

1. You must actually state that you do not wish to state anything.

:fly:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/01/AR2010060101378.html?hpid=topnews

2. if you sit there through 2/3 of the interrogation and then spill the beans the last third that's your fault.

3. Based off of that article, he didn't remain silent for those 3 hours.

4. #4 my little brony, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
    This is why you

It's retarded on paper but in practical situations it make sense. If a person is completely silent then the police don't know whether or not the person even understands their rights. "I'm not answering questions without a lawyer." is a reasonable expectation to stop questioning.

5. It wouldn't have mattered if he had, according to the ruling.

6. Exactly. Dumbass fucked himself. You can't start answering questions then stop answering them and decide that mere silence means invoking the 5th.

Retard should have either not said one goddamn word at all or not said anything to them and asked for a lawyer. Unfortunately SCOTUS can't make a decision based on a hypothetical situation, they have to base it on the case in front of them.

7. No matter if you're guilty or not. The second the police act aggressive at all always ask for your lawyer to be present and say you will not speak without one present. Better safe than sorry. They will always try that bullshit that they can't help you if you ask for a lawyer but that is total bullshit.

8. Agreed, however answering with yes or no is still answering. It's not remaining silent. This isn't a wife who says talking requires more than one word responses.

9. Aggressive? Fuck that, don't speak to police without a lawyer. At all. Ever. :p Like the vid up there says, nothing you can can ever be used to help you in court.

"We'd like to ask you a few questions."

"I have nothing to say without an attorney present."

"Sir, we're not arresting you. You don't need an lawyer."

"I have nothing to say without one present, am I free to skidaddle?"

"No motherfucker, you're going to jail."

"WELL FUCK YOU AND YOUR MOTHER IT WAS THE ONE ARMED MAN YOU ASSHOLES DAMN YOU YOU BLEW IT ALL UP DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL."

10. You said enough. You're being arrested for using the word skidaddle.

11. Why the fuck does one need a right to remain silent?

12. The U.S. is very complicated...

13. because anything you say can and WILL be used against you in a court of law!

I only got that from 10000 + American movies :D

14. I seen it in some wanna be pakistani james bond movie

15. would you have suspects being compelled to speak? by what methods?

16. By shoot first, answers later

17. Just dress as a mime.

18. I think there's a provision in the Constitution that mimes can be shot on sight.

if not, there should be

19. You should be afraid of mime ninjas.