Relocations and gettin' my learnin' on

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
Ok, so some of you might know that I have been looking for a new job and I am trying to relocate out of Savannah. I have had a couple of options come up and I'm interested to hear your views on them. Here they are:

I just finished interviewing with the Univ. of North Florida in Jacksonvile for the position of Assistant Director of Institutional Research. It seems very positive and likely that I will be getting an offer from these guys.

The plus sides are:
*I expect the offer to provide me a 10% - maybe 15% raise over what I make now
*advancement in my field
*it would place me in an institution that has a masters degree appropriate to my discipline that I could do at no charge (tuition remission).
*It gets me out of Savannah.

The negatives are:
*Jacksonville kind of sucks
*The degree would take a long time to complete as a part time student
*The degree is okay but not from what would be considered a "top" school in the southeast...not highly illustrious and that is an important thing for those working in Higher Ed.

--------

The other option is going a totally different route. This would include me relocating to Atlanta and enrolling full-time in the MBA program at Georgia Tech. They only allow full-time enrollees I would be keeping my current job at Savannah State with the current rate of pay and would be telecommuting (working through remote access most of the time and visiting the office every couple of weeks for a day).

plus sides:
*A GA Tech MBA is considered one of the top programs available in the southeast.
*I could be making almost as much money as the other job and I already know what is expected of me which makes full time schooling very feasible.
*We know some people in ATL and I could see living there.
*I would leave with this degree in 2 years and be able to be a Director at most schools which trumps the job mentioned above quite a bit.
*It gets me out of Savannah.

negatives:
*Doing a GA Tech MBA would kick my ass every day for 2 years straight
*If my boss were ever to leave his job here I would likely lose my employment (but I could survive by taking a small education loan for tuition and I have enough money to live on the rest of the time it takes to get a degree)
*My balls itch

So what are your thoughts, take a short term financial/career development hit to acquire a top degree which should catapult me into a higher job quickly, or go the safe and slow route and take a next step job for decent pay and do a not as notable degree on the side and hope to advance a few years down the road?

THERE'S ONLY ONE CHOICE. GET YOUR ASS HERE. :nevx3: :clap:

in all seriousness, what does your heart tell you? go with that answer.

when all is said and done, you are stuck living where you choose to LIVE. you have to deal with the everydays, like traffic, climate, neighbors, neighborhood shopping...to me, these have real weight in deciding where you're going to end up. look at where you're going to LIVE...a job is just one of many, and money's just money, but quality of life is what's going to make you happy or not.
what's blondie's opinion, or is she OK with whatever you'd like?
it seems to me that they both require schooling. that's going to suck...long hours, studying...you know the drill. so what's going to happen after you complete schooling? what's going to give you the better hand? this would be where i would start (after comparing the living aspect.)
GOOD LUCK to you in making a decision...i know it can be overwhelming. but at least this is a very positive decision to make...hard as it is, either way is advancement. congratulations!!! :heart:

and you'd better pick the right one, dammit.

Blondie is cool with either choice. Both would provide her with better options to kick off her career. She is having a really tough time building a professional career in this back-ass-wards city.

That said, if I stay in higher ed, having the degree from Tech will open more doors and make more PhD options available to me later on. Also, it will spring me to a higher career level at the end of the degree than where I would be if I take the job in Jacksonville. For that reason alone I think I'll be relocating to ATL. It's a little more of a risk but we don't have any kids and I think if we were in a tight spot we'd be able to get through it without any adverse effects.

So if we do that you guys have to help us find a house ;) we really like the north side of town...marietta, roswell and most of that area in between.

Blondie is cool with either choice. Both would provide her with better options to kick off her career. She is having a really tough time building a professional career in this back-ass-wards city.

That said, if I stay in higher ed, having the degree from Tech will open more doors and make more PhD options available to me later on. Also, it will spring me to a higher career level at the end of the degree than where I would be if I take the job in Jacksonville. For that reason alone I think I'll be relocating to ATL. It's a little more of a risk but we don't have any kids and I think if we were in a tight spot we'd be able to get through it without any adverse effects.

So if we do that you guys have to help us find a house ;) we really like the north side of town...marietta, roswell and most of that area in between.

of course! i know two realtors that you can get with, and i will be on the lookout. i'm so excited! ygpm.

of course! i know two realtors that you can get with, and i will be on the lookout. i'm so excited! ygpm.

Cool your jets there, I'm not fully accepted into the program yet as I need to take the GMAT and have scores sent in, interview with them, etc.; but I'm hopeful that we will be moving somewhere in the next 3 months.

well as i know it, you haven't even decided what you're going to do. but it doesn't stop me from being excited about the possiblity. :eek: i like you two. :p

well as i know it, you haven't even decided what you're going to do. but it doesn't stop me from being excited about the possiblity. :eek: i like you two. :p

We like all you guys too...even theac :fly:

but seriously, we are leaning more on the ATL side of things. I just hope my application looks good enough to get admitted into the program. I was hobnobbing with some of the more important people in my field while I was in little rock last week and I have a few references that are what you would consider strong at the very least.

I've got my fingers crossed, and if it happens I'm coming to find w_a_w cause i'm tired of him avoiding me and I owe him a beer ;)

You can learn all about where I keep my socks.

I dunno if I want to live in a sock drawer in Fuck Off. BTW, good job on the location thingie under the screen names fly...this one saved me.

I'd probably come if you threw in some free shiner.

I just found out we may be opening a campus in Miami in the next few years. We're opening some art galleries and offices there to do prep work like we did in Atlanta. Hmmmm....I like the weather there a whole bunch.