Religion

itburnswhenipee said:
What if the institution of the faith is guided and driven by said corrupt individuals?
It is still corrupt individuals. Let me give an example; mainstream Islam as it is practiced in the U.S. is fine. Where as the Wahhabi brand of Islam to me is corrupt and corrupts its leaders and followers.

fly said:
iirc, Jesus and his followers met in a field, a basement, a McDonalds, or anywhere. And the corruption is exactly what I'm talking about. On a large scale, take a look at the Catholic church, or on a smaller scale, anyone remember the dude on Genmay whos dad was a priest? Fubak maybe? His dad was forced out for doing some dirt.
Christianity (Jesus) is essentially just a sect of Judaism, hence the informal meetings, not to mention that he wasnt exactly making friends with any of his contemporaries. The schism then was no different than the schism between the Roman and Eastern church, or more recently the protestant sects. There were several christian heresies about his actual divinity (eg Arayans).

No organisation is perfect, including any church. As soon as you welcome everyone you let in all the bad with the good. The main reason for keeping a power structure in place is to achieve continuity.

Arátoeldar said:
But again it is the corruption of individuals not the corruption of the institution of the faith that is being practiced.
I disagree. Church is run by men, men are always corrupt (to some extent), therefore the church is corrupt. The religion itself isn't corrupt, just everything physical that you see around it.

fly said:
I disagree. Church is run by men, men are always corrupt (to some extent), therefore the church is corrupt. The religion itself isn't corrupt, just everything physical that you see around it.
This man is correct.

fly said:

This where I disagree with you and one thing among many that I hate about PJ's LOTR movie. All men are not corrupt. Those who are not evil does not mean they are perfect. They do stumble every once and a while on life's journey. You are making a blanket generalization that just doesn't apply.

Arátoeldar said:
This where I disagree with you and one thing among many that I hate about PJ's LOTR movie. All men are not corrupt. Those who are not evil does not mean they are perfect. They do stumble every once and a while on life's journey. You are making a blanket generalization that just doesn't apply.
Original sin, my friend, original sin...

We're all bad, according to Christianity anyway...

fly said:
You're the worst of em. :p

btw, I haven't mentioned it to Zoe yet, but I want to come back up there when the aquarium opens. So we all need to get together, if possible.

Is this before or after you are coming to Ohio to go to CP?

:mad:

fly said:
You're the worst of em. :p

btw, I haven't mentioned it to Zoe yet, but I want to come back up there when the aquarium opens. So we all need to get together, if possible.

What?! What?!?! What?!?!?! :eek:

Whatever, you just wanna come up and see Ikea. I knows hows it goes. :p We'll all haveta go meat the purdy whale sharks. :drool: We might be taking a trip up to the fish tank in Tennesse in early October. :D