Religion

b_sinning

Erect Member
Nov 22, 2004
Savannah, GA
Marklar
₥10
Anything said in this thread is no attack on anothers beliefs but are just the personal beliefs of the posters. No fighting or trying to make someone believe your beliefs.

My wife asked me to go to church with her Sunday. She kept pushing that it's a non-denominational. I said sure I would go even though I disliked churches. The denomination doesn't matter to me. We've agreed she would the primary source of religion/spirtuality to my son because she's a lot more spirtual person than me so I support her in this. She's not a church person either but more of a hippie. We both feel he needs to be exposed to a wide array of stuff so he can decide for himself. I support this becuase I wasn't given that choice by my dad growing up.

When I was a kid my parents forced me to go to church every Sunday. My dad made us go to a Pentecostal church where people spoke in tongues and there was always the threat of hell for sinners. It never fit me because I never thought I should be good person becuase of the threat of damnation. I'm a good person because it's the way I'm suppose to be. My mom was a baptist and would sometimes make me go to baptist churches or make me go to church or vaction bible schools with neighbors so I could see their religions. It was her quiet way of defying my dad. He's not a bad guy he's just the way he is. I went to Luthern. methodist, and a few others of various denominations. All talked of a higher power, some talked of Jesus and hell and some didn't. The main differences seemed to be the code of conduct expected of the congregation. While at the various churches I read whatever version of the bible they thought was the best and sang whatever songs they felt God liked to hear. But none of it ever really was for me.

I never believed that my God really needed me to go into these solemn dusty almost sad places. I never believed that this preacher, minster, or whatever had a clearer connection to God than me. If God's all powerful that made no sense to me even as a kid. I didn't believe if I did bad things during the week that I could be forgiven for them by giving a big donation on Sunday. It just seemed as a way of helping with guilt rather than telling my God I was his friend. So overtime I lost my faith in the churches and organized religions. I don't have any ill feelings towards them or the people that clung to them. Churches do great works and help a lot of peple. Religion is huge part of some peoples lives and it helps them faces the diffuclties of life.

If I feel I need to talk to God I just talk to him. He can hear me as good when I'm driving my car as when I'm in fear for my life or bored in a church. I normally don't discuss religion with people becuase I don't feel like them trying to convince their religion is best. It doesn't really matter to me because I believe what I believe. Do I believe in heaven and hell? I would like to think that people I loved have passed on to a better place because I believe they deserve it. I would like to think the bad people are punished becuase so often there is no justice in the world. But either way I'm fine just waiting to see if they are real or not when it's my time to go. Either way will not make me change the way I live my life. When people ask me what religion I am I just say Baptist becuase it's convenient. I rarely think about these things but as a father you have to think about how to expose your kids to these things.

So I'll go to church with my wife and sing whatever songs they want me to and read whatever passages they want becuase it will make my wife happy and in my mind ask my God to hurry up and get me out of there.

Excellent post.

Imho, church was created by man, for man. Your post hit it on the mark, if God omnipotent, He doesn't need a church to hear you, but men do. He doesn't need your money, but men do. He doesn't need validation by you going to church, but men do.

Yeah, you get the point.

I don't believe in religion. I grew up Lutheran, and while I enjoyed the faith I just don't generally believe that organized religion is necessary in any way. It annoys me that the one thing that should bring people together in enlightenment (God, or rather the worshipping of God) should lead to the most rampant intolerance I have ever seen.

Religion makes people hate, judge, and ridicule each other, and form presumptuous, bickering little social cliques the likes of which no hormone-crazed teenager could ever come up with. I don't think the human brain is advanced enough yet for the kind of conceptualized thought processes that are necessary for something like faith or God to work. It just makes people way too damn stupid, and usually disgusts me.

I worship God on my terms, and when my son is old enough to begin to grasp things I will introduce him to it step by step.

I too was forced to go to church ever Sunday growing up, though Lutherans don't preach hell or damnation or anything like that so it was never this beat-down of an experience. But forcing kids to go through the motions like that can be just as ridiculous and damaging, in my opinion. I don't think God should be worshipped in that way. Church is boring as hell, and it's a hassle.

The music sucks, the food sucks, and the best part of the day is when the paster or priest dismisses everyone and it's time to go get breakfast or lunch somewhere. And it's all so archaic and symbolic that it's basically completely inaccesible to anyone anyway. What kid is going to know or care what pointless motions and phrases mean? In essence sitting in church is the worst part of a kid's week, and if I were God I'd be pissed that that is how I was being introduced to my future congregations. As a big fat pain in the ass.

Yeah, that's pretty reverent. I am NOT going to raise my son in that environment. I'd rather take him around the world to meet people from different cultures, show him how our race exists in general, and teach him that the bond between him and his creator is the most personal thing he will have. No human has the knowledge or authority to dictate to others who God is, and that's a difficult thing for traditionalists to accept. That makes it very hard for me to respect ANY religion. I'm a very "keep it to yourself" kind of person.

Some people take it so personal when I they find out I have no interest in churches and I just don't understand that. I'm not against them. If I'm fine with my beliefs, why are they so desperate to try to make me see their's is better or the right way? Are that unsecure or do they feel like they are doing me a favor? I feel sorry for them becuase they have no computer skills but I don't force them to surf the web more. Religion can be a strange things at times.

I totally agree Sarcasmo.

b_sinning said:
Some people take it so personal when I they find out I have no interest in churches and I just don't understand that. I'm not against them. If I'm fine with my beliefs, why are they so desperate to try to make me see their's is better or the right way? Are that unsecure or do they feel like they are doing me a favor? I feel sorry for them becuase they have no computer skills but I don't force them to surf the web more. Religion can be a strange things at times.

I totally agree Sarcasmo.
Yeah, that totally bugs me.

And it's not everyone that goes to church, because I've met some uber bible-thumping Christians that couldn't care less what I did.

The father of an ex-friend of mine, once sat down and basically told my wife and I that he didn't trust people that didn't go to church - any church, and that they weren't complete people.

b_sinning said:

I'm telling you, people just can't handle it. This planet is swimming in stupid. Mindlessly subscribing to some dude's idea of God is not doing anyone any justice. MEN wrote the bible, MEN created church, MEN took Jesus and Buddha and Mohammed and everyone else and dissected them to suit their needs. In fact, I've never seen God with my eyes. As far as I know, he has never once been involved in this entire process. Everything is done by people for people and once again, repeat it with me, PEOPLE ARE FUCKING STUPID.

I'm forming the Church of the Silly Twit. PM me for VIP membership info. Latecomers will be left with common membership, and they won't know God as well.

b_sinning said:

The same goes for non believers though as well.

The things that bug me is when people try to argue their faith. This cannot be done on the grounds that reason does not apply to faith. Any argument given boils down to "this is my belief."

Now, I'm not saying that having faith is necessarily a bad thing, but when people try to prove their faith things can go downhill rather quickly.

itburnswhenipee said:
The things that bug me is when people try to argue their faith. This cannot be done on the grounds that reason does not apply to faith. Any argument given boils down to "this is my belief."

Now, I'm not saying that having faith is necessarily a bad thing, but when people try to prove their faith things can go downhill rather quickly.

Which is why I'm so "keep it to yourself" about it. I don't care what others believe. I'm deeply spiritual and have great faith, but I know it defies logic and perception and I will never be able to prove anything to anyone else.

itburnswhenipee said:

I think its fun to discuss, because I like to hear and try to understand other people's insights. However, you can't discuss it with the intention to ever sway anyone to your side. It just doesn't work.

fly said:
I think its fun to discuss, because I like to hear and try to understand other people's insights. However, you can't discuss it with the intention to ever sway anyone to your side. It just doesn't work.

I agree. You would have a better chance getting someone to believe that the color red is actually the color blue than changing someones faith through discussion. No matter if they even finally agree with you they would still believe what they believe. So why have the arguement.