Food Red Wine-Braised Short Ribs

Amstel

The Hoarse Whisperer
Jul 12, 2009
you're a whore, but in a good way. Kindof.
Marklar
₥43,516
Where's the Articles thingy? sumunabich.

no pics of the early stuff - ie: raw / pre cooked.
  • 2 pounds bone-in beef short ribs, (the one in the pic was 2.bs = 4 pieces.)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 medium onions, chopped
  • 3 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
  • 1 celery stalks, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons tomato paste
  • 1 28 oz can of chopped tomatoes with juice
  • 2 cups Red Wine (I used 3 buck chuck)
  • 10 sprigs flat-leaf parsley ( I left this out)
  • 8 sprigs thyme
  • 4 sprigs oregano
  • 2 sprigs rosemary
  • 2 fresh or dried bay leaves
  • 1 head of garlic, roughly chopped
  • 2 cups low-salt beef stock
Set oven to 350.

10.5 inch Cast Iron Pan (it browns better)

On the stove:

Season Short Ribs with Kosher Salt and Pepper

Heat Pan to almost smoking, then add oil and roll around the pan to coat evenly. With Tongs: place the meat in the pan to brown the sides. About 3 minutes per side. Turning to brown the sides and ends. Use can use a metal spatula to pick the meat off the pan if it is sticking between turns. After all sides are browned, remove from pan and set on a plate.

Add onion and cook until almost brown, then add carrots and celery and stir once mixing well. Add Tomato Paste and Flour. Mix until well combined and coating is a deep red. Add canned tomatoes, Red Wine and Shortribs (with any juices that are on the plate).

looks like:

14082463520140824164854.jpg

Get up to a boil and reduce tomato/wine sauce by half (about 25 minutes). Add all herbs, 1/2 the garlic and all the stock. Stir them in, and/or push them down into the sauce.

finished reducing and on 350 grill:
14082440720140824170523.jpg

covered:
14082499420140824170535.jpg

Cover and put in 350 oven for 2.5 -3 hrs. (I put it on the grill at 350. tin foil underneath to semi protect the pan. 30 minutes before it's done (about 2hrs after it's in the over) add the remaining garlic.

Will post results. I tasted the sauce just before I put it on the grill. Divine.

Serving with brown rice because I forgot to get risoto. -I also think this over Israeli cous-cous would be really good too.

14082577020140824190031.jpg

Fini. I tweaked the recipe from the original post. Needed more liquid.

forgot to make the brown rice so used orzo with Reggiano Parm.

It was amazeballs. Just needed crusty italian bread. The veggies/tomato mix was outstanding as well.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
Why the foil? :wtf: Protect it from what?

BTW, looks delish

foil: not sure really, just figured maybe that the direct fire heat that long on the bottom of the pan may degrade the seasoning on the bottom of the pan. it was a brief thought that involved "just put the foil down. you don't want to come back in 2.5 hrs and wish you spent a whole 30 seconds doing it now."

To me, I figure the heat from the bottom has to be hotter and longer than in an oven in your house because the grill loses heat in so many more places (rotisserie holes, back venting, bottom holes, etc) so to maintain 350 on the thermometer I figure I've got to keep much more and higher heat temps below to compensate for the losses.

idk. I'll let someone else experiment for 2.5 hrs w/no foil. & yes, I do realize that the temp of the foil = temp of bottom of pan sitting on it. I also set a stuffed puppy next to the grill to keep an eye on it for me too. :D