Recommendations on a new PC

Oh my bad. It will be when it debuts.

"Citing sources at leading Taiwan motherboard makers, DigiTimes claims the first model will be an Extreme version, the Core 2 Extreme QX6700, which will be available starting in mid-November."

Oh my bad. It will be when it debuts.

"Citing sources at leading Taiwan motherboard makers, DigiTimes claims the first model will be an Extreme version, the Core 2 Extreme QX6700, which will be available starting in mid-November."

Go search Google Video for Alan Wake Quad Core.

That fucking demo made my jaw drop.

Edit : Actually it was YouTube. My bad.

Last edited:
Each of our computers are tossed together for like 200 bucks or packages from dell for about the same. No point to have major graphics cards and 300 gig hard drives here.

umm.. I highly disagree. I fill up 300 gig HD once a week and 2D performance is a big issues with photoediting and vector artwork.

I suggest (from your listed choices):

Intel™ Core®2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz/1066MHz/4MB L2/Dual-core/VT

128MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX550, Dual VGA or Dual DVI or DVI + VGA
(I'd look for a Matrox Parhelia 256MB. If you can get it, it will be the best dual monitor, 2D solution)

80GB SATA, 10K RPM Hard Drive with 16MB DataBurst Cache™ (boot hd)
250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ and 8MB DataBurst Cache™ (storage)

I also suggest a second HD for swap space. Illustrator & photoshop use their own space that can be specified and used separately from windows. I use a 50gb drive for that. Just make sure it's as fast as your boot hd. Some people would disagree with this choice, but it makes a HUGE difference in performance.

I'd also throw in a different mouse then what they ship. Get a Logitech.

umm.. I highly disagree. I fill up 300 gig HD once a week and 2D performance is a big issues with photoediting and vector artwork.

(I'd look for a Matrox Parhelia 256MB. If you can get it, it will be the best dual monitor, 2D solution)

I also suggest a second HD for swap space. Illustrator & photoshop use their own space that can be specified and used separately from windows. I use a 50gb drive for that. Just make sure it's as fast as your boot hd. Some people would disagree with this choice, but it makes a HUGE difference in performance.

I don't think he's nearly as hardcore into graphics as you're making his machine out to be. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wonko stated he's just doing lite Photoshop. When anyone lists Acrobat as a primary tool, it isn't that graphics intensive. I still think a Quadro is overkill, but if its cheap, whatever.

I had a 10k drive and I promise you it makes zero difference unless you're opening/saving 500+ meg files. The only time it seemed to make a difference is massive read/write operations. The downfall is they run hot, loud, and have a short life span. I understand the need in video editing, CAD stations, and graphic masters like yourself (Spange), but for someone who just need to make fliers to advertise that Friday is Hawaiian shirt day at the office, um ... yeah. I guess its up to wonko to tell us what level of work he's doing.

he was saying he didn't need it at his work, not that you or possibly wonko don't

theac is giving choices closer to what I really do. I'd say it's more intensive than weekly flyers, but it's not full time graphic design by any means. But I do run those large programs that hog resources.

theac is giving choices closer to what I really do. I'd say it's more intensive than weekly flyers, but it's not full time graphic design by any means. But I do run those large programs that hog resources.

Do you have a budget number you're trying to hit?

you just need a lot of ram to overcome that issue...I recommend at least 2gb

Do you have a budget number you're trying to hit?
Trying to stay around $2000. I think I got one configured that should be good given the advice you gave.

Intel™ Core®2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz/1066MHz/2MB L2/Dual-core/VT
2GB, 667MHz, DDR2 SDRAM Memory, ECC
160GB SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ and 8MB DataBurst Cache (two of them)
Dell 20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007FP Widescreen, adjustable stand, VGA/DVI