Recommendations on a new PC

Trying to stay around $2000. I think I got one configured that should be good given the advice you gave.

Intel™ Core®2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz/1066MHz/2MB L2/Dual-core/VT
128MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX550, Dual VGA or Dual DVI or DVI + VGA
2GB, 667MHz, DDR2 SDRAM Memory, ECC
160GB SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ and 8MB DataBurst Cache (two of them)
Dell 20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007FP Widescreen, adjustable stand, VGA/DVI

FIXT. STOP MAKING YOUR POSTS SO BIG FAG>

Trying to stay around $2000. I think I got one configured that should be good given the advice you gave.

Intel™ Core®2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz/1066MHz/2MB L2/Dual-core/VT
128MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX550, Dual VGA or Dual DVI or DVI + VGA
2GB, 667MHz, DDR2 SDRAM Memory, ECC
160GB SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ and 8MB DataBurst Cache (two of them)
Dell 20 inch UltraSharp™ 2007FP Widescreen, adjustable stand, VGA/DVI

Not bad. Do you have to get ECC memory? ECC is really a server only thing. You can save a bit of cash if they allow you get get non-ECC.

I guess the only other thing is the HDDs. 160 is more than enough for a boot drive with all your programs on it. Depending on your storage situation at work, you might want more for the secondary drive. In fact, if you don't have a reliable network storage solution for long term archiving, you may want to consider getting a second and third drive of the same size and doing a RAID 1 on them. RAID 1 differs from the before mentioned RAID 0 in that RAID 1 is mirroring. That means all data gets written to both drives simulateously so you always have 2 copies of what you're doing. That way if one drive fails, you're not SOL. That one is totally up to you though. I don't know how important the stuff is you're working on.

Yeah, they don't give me the choice to get non-ECC. Don't know why.

We actually don't have network storage at this point, but it is something we are going to implement soon. Since you brought it up, any recommendations on what to get there? A friend of my suggested a NAS device. My only question with those is then how do you store the data from it in an off-site location?

Yeah, they don't give me the choice to get non-ECC. Don't know why.

We actually don't have network storage at this point, but it is something we are going to implement soon. Since you brought it up, any recommendations on what to get there? A friend of my suggested a NAS device. My only question with those is then how do you store the data from it in an off-site location?

There are a lot of ways to do network storage. You could VPN in to the site and it would be like saving to a local network drive, you can FTP in, you could set up a web interface, etc. I could help, but Chikken is the fucking master for networked storage. Whatever he says, I'd agree with.

There are a lot of ways to do network storage. You could VPN in to the site and it would be like saving to a local network drive, you can FTP in, you could set up a web interface, etc. I could help, but Chikken is the fucking master for networked storage. Whatever he says, I'd agree with.

His first several posts will be about beer and whiskey though, so you have to wade through that.

...if you have 10-20mil to throw around. :fly:

I recently bought an awesome NAS that was WAAAAAY cheap. If you want the company contact info, lemme.
Others may be interested, so I'd say post it here. If you disagree then pm me.

I guess I'd like to explain what I'd like to accomplish with our network to see if you all also thing NAS is something we should do or just use a normal server to do it (as well as other stuff).

Currently we have a RISC box that hosts our inventory software. It also hosts sendmail for us, but that only sorta works.

What we need:
Server to host a database (probably has to be Windows too)
Server/NAS for backups.
Server for email. Don't know what email to use, something easy and safe. Don't really care about whizbang features.

So should I use one server to do both the database and email? Or just use some linux server to do email? Aren't you supposed to put an email server outside a firewall anyway? Use a NAS, or use one of the other servers as well?

We're not talking heavy traffic on any here as we have at most 30 users, and usually much less than that.

I just want to figure out how to score an old PC, some 500 or 750 GB drives, and a HW RAID card for nuttin' so I can run a nice little home NAS. Someone hook a brutha up.

Others may be interested, so I'd say post it here. If you disagree then pm me.

I guess I'd like to explain what I'd like to accomplish with our network to see if you all also thing NAS is something we should do or just use a normal server to do it (as well as other stuff).

Currently we have a RISC box that hosts our inventory software. It also hosts sendmail for us, but that only sorta works.

What we need:
Server to host a database (probably has to be Windows too)
Server/NAS for backups.
Server for email. Don't know what email to use, something easy and safe. Don't really care about whizbang features.

So should I use one server to do both the database and email? Or just use some linux server to do email? Aren't you supposed to put an email server outside a firewall anyway? Use a NAS, or use one of the other servers as well?

We're not talking heavy traffic on any here as we have at most 30 users, and usually much less than that.

You could probably get away with one box, if its only 30 users. If you could do 2, I'd do one box for email/db and some NAS for backups. Why does the DB server have to be windows? If you can get away from it, run linux and postfix email...

If you have the money, it would be best to run all three separate, because like you said, you really want email outside your LAN...

You could probably get away with one box, if its only 30 users. If you could do 2, I'd do one box for email/db and some NAS for backups. Why does the DB server have to be windows? If you can get away from it, run linux and postfix email...

If you have the money, it would be best to run all three separate, because like you said, you really want email outside your LAN...
The database says it needs Microsfot SQL Server. I called them to verify if I could put in on a Linux box, and they said no.

So should I look at doing DB/backup serer and then a linux email server?

I just want to figure out how to score an old PC, some 500 or 750 GB drives, and a HW RAID card for nuttin' so I can run a nice little home NAS. Someone hook a brutha up.

why not just do what I do and lookout for HD deals. I have something like 500GB of IDE drives that I paid less than $20 for them all. I'll give you a mobo and processor if you want. I have a dual p3-400 collecting dust if you want it. I could prolly dig up some ram too.

The database says it needs Microsfot SQL Server. I called them to verify if I could put in on a Linux box, and they said no.

So should I look at doing DB/backup serer and then a linux email server?

That is probably your best bet, that way you get the email server out of your internal network.