₥3,602
These are her criteria:

under $200
at least 50 songs
small and light
will be used during cardio workouts
wont be using it for anything else except music

fly said:

IBtheac spouts off about how the audio quality of your average MP3 player pails in comparison to true hi fidelity audio you can only get from a DVD audio setup. Therefor you should strap a $10k receiver to your ass with a car battery and a pair of floor standing $15k speakers bungied to your head.

CletusJones said:
have you read anything aboot the ipod shuffle?

Its exactly what it appears to be. a solid state music player that allows you to download playlists and play them in order, or shuffle the songs around. If I were getting a cheap music player, I would buy the $99 model myself. Or I would splurge and get a last gen mini for $179 so I could use it for file storage too.

Prolly too late to jump in here but...

Rio Carbon 5GB

They are solid stuff with better electronics than the ipod mini. It also holds a bit more for the same price (about $200USD).

Problem is you almost never see them in stores :(

Btw, if it's just for cardio she'd be better off with something solid state (i.e. not a hard drive player); because you can kill hdd players with alot of bouncing, running etc. Depending on how her files are encoded you could definitely fit 50 songs on a 512MB flash player. The quality of the audio will go down (because of the components used) but with shitty headphones/ear plugs it doesnt matter much anyway.

Last edited:
Don't buy anything with a hard drive in it if you intend to use it for workouts. Only buy a flash based player. Iriver has a lot of nice ones and I'm fairly certain all of theirs also have FM radios built in in case they get bored with what they have stored on there. Any 512MB based player should be able to hold 50 songs on it.

The only thing he might have an issue with is finding some headphones that stay attached to his head and don't get all nasty with workout funk.

Here are the Irivers if you choose to go that route.
The 512 is $140 : http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=55-150-028&depa=0
The 1 gig is $190 but out of stock : http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=55-150-029&depa=0

smileynev said:
IBtheac spouts off about how the audio quality of your average MP3 player pails in comparison to true hi fidelity audio you can only get from a DVD audio setup. Therefor you should strap a $10k receiver to your ass with a car battery and a pair of floor standing $15k speakers bungied to your head.
See, I can stay in budget when the expectations are realistic. You just never have realistic expectations for your budget constrant.

smileynev said:
Yeah, but that sure would be one helluva cardio workout, wouldn't it?

I loves me ipod mini. It's now down in the $199 range for the 4GB model and it holds a bit more than 50 songs :)

B0006HTZ76.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg