Recommend me some defrag software

itburnswhenipee

Lonestar
May 25, 2005
Maryland
Marklar
₥797
I was using O&O, but would like something more lightweight that doesn't need a service running in order to use.

I tried Auslogic, but was underwhelmed. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I've been using this computer for almost 5 years
C: 2.47GB free of 144GB - does not need defrag
D: 10.8GB free of 372GB - does not need defrag

is this for a server or a desktop?

defragging was alot more serious need on fat32 file system... ntfs usually doesnt benefit much or at all from it so its kind of a thing from the past. definitly nothing that needs to be done routinely or something windows cant handle just fine on those rare occasions when you do use it.

try a faster HD instead, with 32mb cache

or create a partition that's closer to the center when you first format... i have a buddy that does some weird shit like that on his gaming comp

Get a hex editor and move stuff around on the disk, so that the stuff you want faster access to is closer to the center of the platters.
Uh, if the drive always spins at the same angular speed and there are more physical data sectors on the outside tracks then wouldnt it be accessing more data per time than on an inside track where there are less data sectors. (edit: I checked this, google ZCAV)

I'd think seek times would be the bottleneck that is having to move the head around...

You could just do away with all this and buy a solid state drive with almost instant random access time...

With all due respect why the fuck are you asking this question? I could MAYBE see if you were running a 3200RPM 2GB FAT16 drive, but I don't think that's the case.