Recommend a good book/series.

b_sinning said:
Yep. I like Jordan's writing but it seems that once Rand became king/leader of all these countries he just decided to sit around and whine. Get out there and kick some butt.

Is it me or Jordan has all the woman act like bitches in his books?

So...they act like women? :fly:

b_sinning said:
Small Gods by Terry Pratchet

On the surface it's a cute story of a fallen god and the one person that really beileves in him, but if you look deeper it's a great story on religion. It deals with people belieiving more in the church and organized religion than the god themselves. It's the best of any of his discworld books and it stands by itself so it doesn't matter if you've read any of the other books.

Aww, come on, he's asking for a series of books and then you recommend 1 book that is in a huge series of books? Just recommend the series, dude! Discworld is great!

Read the Discworld books. They are funny, they have kickass characters, and there are LOTS of them. I've been reading them for around 10 years now, I've read them all (well, all of the ones published in the US so far - the new ones come out in England a while before they get published here) and they keep getting better.

JJ Lady said:
You could read all of the Steven Kig books that are somehow connected to the Dark Tower Series.

Yeah, there are some that are Really related, some that are sort of related, and then the rest that could be related but aren't necessarily (although now King says ALL of his books are related to it, even if it isn't blatent). I would read these obviously related books.

Obviously related:
The Stand
The Black House (but read "the talisman" first)
Insomnia
Salem's Lot
Hearts in Atlantis
Everything's Eventual (short story)
The Little Sisters of Eluria (short story)

itburnswhenipee said:
The Harry Potter books are surprisingly seductive. Recently, however, I've been working my way through the Dune books by Frank Herbert. They are set in an amazingly rich, far-future society that is full of scheming, betrayal, and humanity reaching supernatural levels of dicipline and awareness. Pretty good stuff, in my opinion.
So, theres a release party for the next HP book next month... we're going to go, if you and eileenbunny are interested:

http://www.hpana.com/news.18621.html

Track 5 said:
Anything from Dean Koontz. I just picked up "Velocity" and it somewhat mirrors the movie "Saw." I havent even gotten into the thick of it yet, but so far so good.
I have yet to read a Dean Koontz book I didn't love, in fact I think I get more enjoyment reading his books than Stephen King, :eek:

Intensity is a good one, the movie sucked (of course) but that was one of those books that I'd stay up all night to read, and go to work the next day.

fly said:
Hmmm

Maybe he has gotten better. I recently read The Blind Watchmaker, which was written in the 80s. It was very interesting, but VERY dry.

About the only dryer book I have read was about James Hutton. Yeah, I found from that book that geology isn't for me.
It's very hard to make popular science reading exhilerating. It's certainly not for someone with no interest whatsoever in macroevolution. It's one of the best post-Williams revolution books to tackle the subject, and it makes for great reading.
I think the blind watchmaker was a rebuttal to scrutiny on The Selfish Gene. Still, if genetics interest you it is definetly worth the read.

Galen said:
It's very hard to make popular science reading exhilerating. It's certainly not for someone with no interest whatsoever in macroevolution. It's one of the best post-Williams revolution books to tackle the subject, and it makes for great reading.
I think the blind watchmaker was a rebuttal to scrutiny on The Selfish Gene. Still, if genetics interest you it is definetly worth the read.
I disagree. I've read science books that were very exciting, its just that his didn't do it for me. The Seven Daughters of Eve was an AMAZINGLY interesting book, for example. I dunno, maybe I'll try another of his books, as there seem to be hundreds, but I just wasn't overly impressed with The Blind Watchmaker. I'm glad I read it, but I wouldn't do it again.

ChikkenNoodul said:
The sour bourbon stench that emnates from the skin is in a different smell spectrum from those two, it's still noticable.
Bourbon... now theres a drink for people who want to forget life for awhile

:lol:

zengirl said:
I have yet to read a Dean Koontz book I didn't love, in fact I think I get more enjoyment reading his books than Stephen King, :eek:

Intensity is a good one, the movie sucked (of course) but that was one of those books that I'd stay up all night to read, and go to work the next day.

Intensity was GREAT. I have a hard time putting them down as well. Ill report back on the outcome of this one - so far so good. :)

itburnswhenipee said:
Alas, we will be travelling home from the outer banks on the day it's released.

Also:

The release date happens to be my 30th birthday. Coincidence? :shifty:
You're an evil wizzard, aren't you? I knew it!

In the true and proper spririt of this board, I hereby point and scream, "OLD TIMER!!!" :lol:

zengirl said:
You're an evil wizzard, aren't you? I knew it!

In the true and proper spririt of this board, I hereby point and scream, "OLD TIMER!!!" :lol:

It's true. You have uncovered my secret. I have no choice but to cast my signature spell: Urinatus Fulminatus!

itburnswhenipee said:
It's true. You have uncovered my secret. I have no choice but to cast my signature spell: Urinatus Fulminatus!
OOHH NOOOO!!!!! :egads:

Pr061304pissfire.jpg

TadSG said:
Yeah, there are some that are Really related, some that are sort of related, and then the rest that could be related but aren't necessarily (although now King says ALL of his books are related to it, even if it isn't blatent). I would read these obviously related books.

Obviously related:
The Stand
The Black House (but read "the talisman" first)
Insomnia
Salem's Lot
Hearts in Atlantis
Everything's Eventual (short story)
The Little Sisters of Eluria (short story)

Don't forget Desperation

The Douglas Adams 5-book trilogy, if you haven't already read that.