Food recipe thread again!

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
i just tried to make sausage balls and they are meh. anyone have a good recipe for them?
also, i had some FABULOUSTASTIC spinach-stuffed tomatoes recently and i would love the recipe. anyone? anyone?
what have y'all tried lately that's turned out nicely?

i just tried to make sausage balls and they are meh. anyone have a good recipe for them?
also, i had some FABULOUSTASTIC spinach-stuffed tomatoes recently and i would love the recipe. anyone? anyone?

We have a decent recipe, but it's in blondie's recipe book and I have no idea where she has it hidden. I'll ask her to dig it up when she get's back tonight.

Edit: In the meantime, this one has a good review and lots of reviewers...that usually amounts to a good recipe on this site. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sausage-Balls-2/Detail.aspx

I microwaved some chili today, added some cheese and a ton of hot sauce and it was okay. :p

In seriousness what are sausage balls? Are they like meatballs? Mrs. Chikken could probably help with that.

They are pretty much sausage, cheese, and some type of breadcrumbs/cracker meal mixed up and baked. They are really savory and extremely horrible for your arteries.

Last edited:
I microwaved some chili today, added some cheese and a ton of hot sauce and it was okay. :p

In seriousness what are sausage balls? Are they like meatballs? Mrs. Chikken could probably help with that.

1 lb. sausage, 2 c. shredded cheese, 3 c. bisquick. mush together, roll into balls, bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

next time the cheese will be sharp, the sausage spicy, and i'll dash it all with tobasco. but i feel it needs something else, perhaps.

and they are one of my take-to-the-island foods.

1 lb. sausage, 2 c. shredded cheese, 3 c. bisquick. mush together, roll into balls, bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

next time the cheese will be sharp, the sausage spicy, and i'll dash it all with tobasco. but i feel it needs something else, perhaps.

and they are one of my take-to-the-island foods.

Mrs. Chikken says add cinnamon.

I say make sure the sausage is good spicy italian from a butcher, and skip the tobasco in favor of a more pure pepper hot sauce :D

INGREDIENTS

* 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
* 3/4 cup pepper sauce, such as Franks® Red Hot®
* 1 cup Ranch-style salad dressing
* 2 cups diced cooked chicken
* 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese and hot pepper sauce until well blended. Mix in the Ranch dressing, chicken and Cheddar cheese. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
3. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. If oil collects on the top, dab it off using a paper towel. Serve with tortilla chips.

An old supervisor of mine made some meatballs that were incredibly delicious. When I asked for the recipe she said all she did was picked up frozen meatballs and dumped them n a crock pot with her favorite red sauce and beer.

They were simply fantastic.

An old supervisor of mine made some meatballs that were incredibly delicious. When I asked for the recipe she said all she did was picked up frozen meatballs and dumped them n a crock pot with her favorite red sauce and beer.

They were simply fantastic.

oooooooo...i have a GREAT recipe for the sauce...people go nuts over my meatballs every time i make them, and that's all i do...dump some frozen meatballs in the sauce and simmer. i'll have to try the beer...that's a great addition...or maybe some red wine!!

i also make a fantastic sausage dip that people also go nuts over and spend a bit of time talking about at every party i take it to. honestly. and it's EASY. i'll post it if anyone's interested.

In case anyone is interested . . . Brownie recipe. Good with or without the frosting. I have added honey in the past to make is sweet without the frosting.

Prep Time: 25 Min
Cook Time: 35 Min
Ready In: 1hr

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners' sugar

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8 inch square pan.
In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup flour, salt, and baking powder. Spread batter into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not overcook.
To Make Frosting: Combine 3 tablespoons butter, 3 tablespoons cocoa, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 cup confectioners' sugar. Frost brownies while they are still warm.

In case anyone is interested . . . Brownie recipe. Good with or without the frosting. I have added honey in the past to make is sweet without the frosting.

These are 100% sex, find them in your grocer's baking aisle.

ghirardelli_brownie_6pk_sm.gif

2 meat spaghetti:

1 package of hot italian sausage
1lb ground beef
1tbsp minced garlic
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
some mushrooms, sliced
1 large can of diced tomatoes
couple cans of tomato paste and/or tomato sauce (depends on how thick you like it)
oregano
basil
olive oil

Fill large pot or pan with enough water to half-submerge the sausages. Boil then add sausages. Cook until they're pretty much done (good time to chop veggies) then set aside. Pour water from pot or pan into large pot (to be used to boil pasta later).

Brown the ground beef in the large pot you cooked the sausages in then drain most of the fat off. Add onions and garlic, cook until onions start to get clear then add peppers and mushrooms. Cook until peppers are starting to get done then add tomatoes and paste/sauce. Mix well and bring down to a simmer.

Add water as necessary to pot with sausage water and set to high.

Slice sausage into pieces about 3/4 to 1 inch long and add to sauce. Coat top of sauce with thin layer of oregano, then stir in. Ditto Basil. Simmer.

Once water boils add pasta and cook until it a piece thrown at the wall sticks. Drain.

Done. I recommend complementing this with some good cheese and garlic bread. Yeah, you could be cooking the pasta earlier and be done faster, but I think the time the sauce spends simmering while the pasta cooks is very important.

Last edited:
Toast, peanut butter, mashmallows, chocolate chips.

spread peanut butter on both pieces of toast. add chocolate chips to one piece, add marshmallows to other piece. Place on double paper towel in microwave. Heat on medium until marshmallows are soft. Close into sandwich. Enjoy! May require knife, fork, automatic external defibrillator.