Recipe challenge

you could make Potato-Leek soup OR

Sautee mushrooms and garlic in olive oil, add cream and season with salt and pepper, reduce about half.

Meanwhile partially cook (steam) the broccoli and boil water for pasta. when cream has reduced, add broccoli, cook till it is tender. Finish with parmesean cheese to taste, toss in pasta (I prefer fettucini) and serve.

The denser the cheese, the less fat there is in it, so parmesan or pecarino (pecarino has a sharper flavour) should be ok in small amounts.

stupid question of the day: the nutrients remain the same correct? there's not any kind of breakdown like when you boil veggies?

thanks TB. and thanks NME.

It's not a stupid question and there is a huge breakdown. It varies from veg to veg but a lot of vitamin content disapears when you boil or cook some vegetables. Raw vegetables are by far the best for you, raw carrots etc. just like fruit is good for you raw. It's best to blanche some vegetables like kale and cabbage etc, if you boil the fuck out of it then it's not all that good for you anymore. That's why even if you boil veg it should still have a crunch, if it has no crunch you know a lot of the goodness is gone.

you could make Potato-Leek soup OR

Sautee mushrooms and garlic in olive oil, add cream and season with salt and pepper, reduce about half.

Meanwhile partially cook (steam) the broccoli and boil water for pasta. when cream has reduced, add broccoli, cook till it is tender. Finish with parmesean cheese to taste, toss in pasta (I prefer fettucini) and serve.

The denser the cheese, the less fat there is in it, so parmesan or pecarino (pecarino has a sharper flavour) should be ok in small amounts.

I have enough veg to do both of those, that second one sounds very nice. Thank you for a good and serious post. :heart:

really? i've passed that a million times. didn't even know it was tapas. we will try.

only thought I ever had while passing it was was it owned by the Tampa Pepins? I think UT's soccer/football field is named after them and there's a REAL nice Pepin center out in tampa at like I-4 and 50th. they're the Anheuser/Busch distributors I believe.

BIG $.

i was curious after hearing the asparagus recipe if anybody had creative ways to cook all those damn veggies that are so good for you..

I just cannot stomach:

brussel sprouts

i have multiple kickass recipes for brussel sprouts. we used to grow them in the garden at my parents' house and i just adore them. two faves are pan-roasted sprouts with a dark chocolate glaze, and (Valve can vouch for this one) brussel sprout hash

really? i've passed that a million times. didn't even know it was tapas. we will try.

only thought I ever had while passing it was was it owned by the Tampa Pepins? I think UT's soccer/football field is named after them and there's a REAL nice Pepin center out in tampa at like I-4 and 50th. they're the Anheuser/Busch distributors I believe.

BIG $.

I went to UT, represent!!!

i have multiple kickass recipes for brussel sprouts. we used to grow them in the garden at my parents' house and i just adore them. two faves are pan-roasted sprouts with a dark chocolate glaze, and (Valve can vouch for this one) brussel sprout hash

i think my mom has made these at a family dinner.. drizzle olive oil and bake.

still horrid unfortunately.. i WANT to like the damn stuff but if it invokes the gag reflex, not much I can do about it.

i remem trying to eat them as a child, putting ketchup on em. :eek:

I have an excellent sirloin I am thinking about cooking on the grill for dinner. My sister use to work at a resturant, and the chef got her some prime cuts of meat. He is going to get me a brisket for me to smoke this summer.

He also has a supplier of locally raised small scale pig farmers that has great meat, so I will be getting a whole pork loin as well.

i think my mom has made these at a family dinner.. drizzle olive oil and bake.

still horrid unfortunately.. i WANT to like the damn stuff but if it invokes the gag reflex, not much I can do about it.

i remem trying to eat them as a child, putting ketchup on em. :eek:

same idea with the roasted ones, but i do mine up in a pan on the stovetop. then i smother them in a buttery chocolate glaze. omg YUM.

the hash recipe has bacon and other goodness in it. So damn tasty :drool:

Come over, the weather is nice and my back yard is clothing optional ;-) I have enough for three. I will be roasting some potatoes seasoned with thyme, garlic, butter and pepper as well.

I bought a new york strip steak and grilled it (medium rare) and served it with crimini mushroomes sauteed in olive oil with garlic, then deglazed the pan with Worcestershire sauce added 1/2 cup basalmic vinegar and reduced to a glaze, then poured it over the mushrooms and steak. It was so good I wish I had cooked two.

PS, Kiki didn't make it here in time :(