Reality

You missed the point:

Can you say with any great confidence that everyone's concept of 'red' is the same? There is a word that describes it but you have no way of knowing exactly what another person's concept of it is since the only way you can communicate with another mind is through an imperfect medium, i.e. language.

i have a very good example of this. to me, i truly see the light in the middle of the traffic light as orange. the color looks orange to me, same as on a school bus. i call it an orange light instead of the yellow we've all been taught. i know what i've been taught as both yellow and orange. i also know that everyone who has heard me call it an orange light corrects me to yellow. so i truly don't know if it's yellow to everyone else and orange to me or what.

You missed the point:

Can you say with any great confidence that everyone's concept of 'red' is the same? There is a word that describes it but you have no way of knowing exactly what another person's concept of it is since the only way you can communicate with another mind is through an imperfect medium, i.e. language.

I know what red is :mad: :heart: those are red. I have a funny feeling your concept is that it is red too. What am I missing in your point? truly I dont understand how that heart isnt red unless you are color blind.

You missed the point:

Until that reality can be reduced to math. Can't the color red be quantified that way? It is after all, a reflection of a specific band of light...

Exactly FG!

I've been thinking about reality a lot becuase I've only realized in the past year or so that you are responisble for a large portion of your reality. If you want to live a happy life then you have to live it and don't wait for outside things to make it happy. If you let go of the hate and anger then you will rarely see it in your life. This is a lot of what I have to do during my seperation.

Yes it is possible, although that just greatly magnifies the effect. If I travel away from you at 55mph our time/reality is different, but by mere nanoseconds (or maybe even less...)

So what are your trying to get at? If we increase the speed to light speed we will be on completely different realities in our perception after the speed is taken away?

i have a very good example of this. to me, i truly see the light in the middle of the traffic light as orange. the color looks orange to me, same as on a school bus. i call it an orange light instead of the yellow we've all been taught. i know what i've been taught as both yellow and orange. i also know that everyone who has heard me call it an orange light corrects me to yellow. so i truly don't know if it's yellow to everyone else and orange to me or what.

This is a good point for me I feel. We all see it as yellow and you see it as orange, you are wrong. If you were right we would all yield on Orange, not Yellow.

When sometimes I cough really really hard I see stars flying around, I saw them clear as day but they were not really there. It was my body impacted by the cough.

I know what red is :mad: :heart: those are red. I have a funny feeling your concept is that it is red too. What am I missing in your point? truly I dont understand how that heart isnt red unless you are color blind.

You cant prove that your 'red' exists anywhere except in your own mind, because you cant communicate what you see or think. The fact that an overwhelming number of people do agree on what red is, is a consensus of evidence, not proof of 'red'. This is called 'consensus reality.' Youd read up where I quoted myself for more info on that.

Or try thinking of it where in english we'd call that 'red' and think of it as such. If you thought in hungarian, medium red would be piros and dark red voros. Distinct colours the way pink and red are in english. This is the problem of language. (Hungarian info provided by my brother)

Exactly FG!

I've been thinking about reality a lot becuase I've only realized in the past year or so that you are responisble for a large portion of your reality. If you want to live a happy life then you have to live it and don't wait for outside things to make it happy. If you let go of the hate and anger then you will rarely see it in your life. This is a lot of what I have to do during my seperation.

this is something i'm going through as well. i truly see mankind in general as good human beings. i know there are many bad seeds out there, but in general, i have faith in mankind. i don't believe the human species is evil or bad.
what's interesting to me is that this is truth for me. i know it's also my perception, but what trumps another -- people's perception or knowledge as we've been taught?
i wonder how many people simply dismiss my interpretations as me having a positive perspective vs. people who have a negative perspective. i wonder if i'm a minority, meaning my perception turns into something chosen, and the majority might see the world and mankind as evil, turning that into more of a "truth", as beerad is pointing out.
i just don't know if ANYONE is truly going to be right in this thread. i am finding myself to believe lately that truths are truths but don't have to match either. what's true for me might not match what's true for you. but i'm not confident on the subject either and feel i'd have a lot to gain by discussion and research.

Until that reality can be reduced to math. Can't the color red be quantified that way? It is after all, a reflection of a specific band of light...
No, because even though you can apply an arbitrary label to a specific frequency of light it doesnt mean that it's the same thing that occurs in everyone's perception. All you did was relabel 'red' and define it in terms of electromagnetic energy, that doesnt change how each individual person would 'think' of it in their own mind.

You cant prove that your 'red' exists anywhere except in your own mind, because you cant communicate what you see or think. The fact that an overwhelming number of people do agree on what red is, is a consensus of evidence, not proof of 'red'. This is called 'consensus reality.' Youd read up where I quoted myself for more info on that.

Or try thinking of it where in english we'd call that 'red' and think of it as such. If you thought in hungarian, medium red would be piros and dark red voros. Distinct colours the way pink and red are in english. This is the problem of language. (Hungarian info provided by my brother)

Red is red because that is the name that was thought up for it. Sure it can be called BLUE if you want or even PURPLE but nothing changes that we can all Identify that color with that word. I can point out what color is red out of a diagram, so can you. How does this reality differ? You think that if our minds could communicate they wouldnt both find it red anyways?

I think everyone lives in their own "reality" for the most part .. thinking what they want about whatever they want to. But when you deal with society the reality is bent/molded into a generic reality so that everyone can have some sort of function that flows as fluidly as possible. Otherwise we'd all be running around like chickens with our head cut off because of our different views.

You see the light as orange, but we know it's called yellow. We also know what to look for (the shape, location, meaning have a more profound affect on our brains than the actual color of the object does).

Kinda like color blind people don't see anything like we do .. they have to go by the shape, location, meaning. Their reality is totally different than ours is on the world they view.

They have to learn societies reality the best way they can to adapt and fit in as best they can .. or they will live a very disoriented life.

Last edited:
Thorn I wasn't looking for a thread where anyone could be absolutely right on their thoughts on reality. Just a nice discussion on some of the various views. To each of us in our own perceptions we are right.

Thorn I wasn't looking for a thread where anyone could be absolutely right on their thoughts on reality. Just a nice discussion on some of the various views. To each of us in our own perceptions we are right.

oh, of course! i didn't mean you were looking for that. :eek: i just meant that usually, there is a mainstream right or wrong kind of feel to a discussion, and i don't know if anyone is truly right or wrong on this topic. :heart:

Red is red because that is the name that was thought up for it. Sure it can be called BLUE if you want or even PURPLE but nothing changes that we can all Identify that color with that word. I can point out what color is red out of a diagram, so can you. How does this reality differ? You think that if our minds could communicate they wouldnt both find it red anyways?
I'm not saying it differs. I'm saying that reality, and one's perception of it, cant be proven. The very fact that there is obscurity on such a small thing as colour would/can be multiplied a billion times when it comes to something more abstract. You can prove for example though, that if three people read the same book it's going to mean something different for each of them. If everyone really perceived reality or the lack thereof (or if your subconscious mind that is making what you think is reality) the exact same way we would even be arguing this because you'd understand exactly what I'm saying.

Duh!

Last edited:
I'm not saying it differs. I'm saying that reality, and one's perception of it, cant be proven. The very fact that there is obscurity on such a small thing as colour would/can be multiplied a billion times when it comes to something more abstract. You can prove for example though, that if three people read the same book it's going to mean something different for each of them. If everyone really perceived reality or the lack thereof (or if your subconscious mind that is making what you think is reality) the exact same way we would even be arguing this because you'd understand exactly what I'm saying.

Duh!

I feel that the meaning of a book is a very bad example in this case. I do see your point however I can pop back all day(especially with the book analogy). There is no proven fact either way is what you should be saying if that is your standpoint.

No, because even though you can apply an arbitrary label to a specific frequency of light it doesnt mean that it's the same thing that occurs in everyone's perception. All you did was relabel 'red' and define it in terms of electromagnetic energy, that doesnt change how each individual person would 'think' of it in their own mind.

But that means I CAN define red, I just can't define how that wavelength of light interacts with your rods and cones. No?

But that means I CAN define red, I just can't define how that wavelength of light interacts with your rods and cones. No?

Breaking it down, I like that.

There is a movie called The Secret that is suppose to be all about this, I have yet to watch it.

Everyones reality truly isnt reality guys, no matter how you look at it we are all just atoms and particles held together. Unless you can see like Neo you have no clue what reality is. :fly:

So what are your trying to get at? If we increase the speed to light speed we will be on completely different realities in our perception after the speed is taken away?

It can be difficult to explain, but essentially the closer you get to the speed of light, the 'slower' time goes when compared to someone 'standing still'.

If I head out for 24 hours away from the Earth at 50% the speed of light and return the next day, decades will have passed on Earth. Yet my reality and watch will say that I've only been gone a day...