Reality

It can be difficult to explain, but essentially the closer you get to the speed of light, the 'slower' time goes when compared to someone 'standing still'.

If I head out for 24 hours away from the Earth at 50% the speed of light and return the next day, decades will have passed on Earth. Yet my reality and watch will say that I've only been gone a day...

Interesting, I am no physics major so I will just have to believe that you are correct.

I think that what I see as a light green other people see as yellow. So there are variations as to what labels people put to colors, which makes it a personal reality, not a universally accepted one.

Breaking it down, I like that.

There is a movie called The Secret that is suppose to be all about this, I have yet to watch it.

Everyones reality truly isnt reality guys, no matter how you look at it we are all just atoms and particles held together. Unless you can see like Neo you have no clue what reality is. :fly:

My wife asked me to download , I mean buy, The Secret last night. Odd.

I believe we're all made of stars.

But that means I CAN define red, I just can't define how that wavelength of light interacts with your rods and cones. No?
What is so complicated about this? I can prove what I'm saying with set theory as well. Did you fail to think back to the point that wavelengths are also perceptions, how a specific wavelength interacts with the eye is also a measurement that is a perception that exists in what you call reality. You have faith in this, you cant prove it though.

In less words:

You cannot prove that 'Reality' exists as a thing separate from other than that which I think it is.

Breaking it down, I like that.

There is a movie called The Secret that is suppose to be all about this, I have yet to watch it.

Everyones reality truly isnt reality guys, no matter how you look at it we are all just atoms and particles held together. Unless you can see like Neo you have no clue what reality is. :fly:

I downloaded it, it's a bunch of superstitious bullshit that gullible people fork over their cash for and buy the creators a new summer home in the Poconos. The only thing more retarded is the "What The Bleep Do We Know" crapumentary.

Last edited:
I've always been fascinated by how mental illness plays into all of this, especially Schizophrenia.

"Schizophrenia is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a mental disorder characterized by impairments in the perception or expression of reality and by significant social or occupational dysfunction. A person experiencing schizophrenia is typically characterized as demonstrating disorganized thinking, and as experiencing delusions or hallucinations, in particular auditory hallucinations."

But what if they are just able to perceive some of the things that the rest of us can't. Just because you can t see something does not mean it's not there.

On a similar vein I'd love to use a sensory-deprivation chamber. Often the brain will try to create some form of reality if it is cut off from all the senses.

The truth is I've been exploring more and more into all of this lately because I'm bi-polar and how does that effect perception? And i believe my perceptions defines my reality. If you can create your own reality of happiness then you can also do the reverse. Could I truely be the source of all that I have struggled with in my life? Were things not so bad but I just perceived them that way? I know I didn't willing cause some of the past problems but were they a side effect of my illness impairing my perception? I take medicine every day so I don't feel always on edge or depressed and my wife can be around me. I hope the answer is out there somewhere.

What is so complicated about this? I can prove what I'm saying with set theory as well. Did you fail to think back to the point that wavelengths are also perceptions, how a specific wavelength interacts with the eye is also a measurement that is a perception that exists in what you call reality. You have faith in this, you cant prove it though.

In less words:

You cannot prove that 'Reality' exists as a thing separate from other than that which I think it is.

Regardless if we perceive them or not, wavelengths of light do exist and they can be calculated. Or are you saying that math is just perception as well?

Regardless if we perceive them or not, wavelengths of light do exist and they can be calculated. Or are you saying that math is just perception as well?
What part of 'reality is perception' do you not understand?

“For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.” – The Bible

“The New York Times’ Science Section recently ran a review of a book, written by string theorist Leonard Susskind, that proposes the concept of a megaverse -- in which multiple universes are possible at once. There now exists the hypothesis that there are 10 to the 500th power possible models of physics.” – Olivia Cronk

There is a connecting thread between spirituality and science, between human aspirations and perceived actualities - a commonality that proves we know that we do not know. Our lives go from love to loves lost; our nations go from grand destiny to gross destructions: temples to unknown gods and technology to ever changing theories.

Perhaps the answer lies in the simple scrawl of a poet.
“Beauty is truth, truth beauty,”—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.” -Keats

I'm Ron Burgundy?

How people perceive the wavelengths of light differs, therefore not making reality of those colors concrete but a personal perception.

All of it. Now explain your position again for a dimwit like me, cause it doens't make a lick of sense as you've currently structured it.

Will that work better?
It's not a position, it's a fact.

You cannot prove your own reality. It is a self contained system that you only experience through your senses. Since it is entirely brought to you by your senses there is no way to 'prove' it....

I'm too tired

It's not a position, it's a fact.

You cannot prove your own reality. It is a self contained system that you only experience through your senses. Since it is entirely brought to you by your senses there is no way to 'prove' it....

I'm too tired

Sometimes common sense comes to play. Nothing is self contained which is dependent upon experience and one's senses. And since everything from language to all the other things that commonly define us as human beings come from a group understanding, there are levels of truth, which we all understand. Does that mean we understand all there is to know about existence? No. But it is just plain silly to say that because we do not understand everything and sense everything the same, we understand nothing. It is also silly and inconsistent to posture a position of 'no way to prove' in a 'self contained system' as a fact; to be consistent you must say that it is only a fact in your 'self contained' system. In your own mind you cannot prove your own existence to yourself; to others, they already know you exist because, to them, you are an ever present pain in the ass.

:p

The truth is I've been exploring more and more into all of this lately because I'm bi-polar and how does that effect perception? And i believe my perceptions defines my reality. If you can create your own reality of happiness then you can also do the reverse. Could I truely be the source of all that I have struggled with in my life? Were things not so bad but I just perceived them that way? I know I didn't willing cause some of the past problems but were they a side effect of my illness impairing my perception? I take medicine every day so I don't feel always on edge or depressed and my wife can be around me. I hope the answer is out there somewhere.

Perceptions do define reality. Therefore you create your own reality, be it a happy or unhappy one. Think of your mind as a pair of glasses. Dispite what the facts of your life may be, you view it all through your own perceptive, your 'lenses' . If your lenses are dirty, you will always see the dirt with everything you experience.... things may be offcolor when they really aren't, or you may miss some things entirely because you focused on a speck of dirt. The trick is to make your lens as clean as possible. However the only way I know of to do this is by functioning on facts alone, and disregarding the dirt of personal perception. Med's help you see past the dirt, hopfully giving you an alternate perception. That should allow you to see the dirt on your lenses (for what it is) and hopefully allow you the right pespective to remove it.

The mind can be beautiful and terrifying. Mental illness blurs the lanes between the two, making it hard to tell which lane your driving in. My grandfather battled with bipolor disorder most of his life and many of my loved ones have wrestled with depression. One must stay vigilant with their mindset so they do not vear off into another lane. This is the challenge of dealing with mental illnesses, there is no 100% cure. There will always be hard times in life, but one must maintain focus on the positives (of which there are many).

Thanks Pandora. This weekend is the first time I've ever told my parents that I was bi-polar. It explained to them why I withdrew from them so much and acted the way I have through the years. I didn't fully accept I was this way until lately but it has been fucking up my life since spring 98 when it first manifested. It is such a relief knowing there is treatment to minimize it's effect on my life. It's been like trying to tread water hooked to a giant boat anchor. Now the anchor won't be as heavy. I think I'm coming to grips with it in time to save my marriage and my relationship with my family and now can introduce more intimate friends into my life. All of the sudden the world is starting to look so very different to me.

Thanks Pandora. This weekend is the first time I've ever told my parents that I was bi-polar. It explained to them why I withdrew from them so much and acted the way I have through the years. I didn't fully accept I was this way until lately but it has been fucking up my life since spring 98 when it first manifested. It is such a relief knowing there is treatment to minimize it's effect on my life. It's been like trying to tread water hooked to a giant boat anchor. Now the anchor won't be as heavy. I think I'm coming to grips with it in time to save my marriage and my relationship with my family and now can introduce more intimate friends into my life. All of the sudden the world is starting to look so very different to me.

Sometimes I don't even need my psych degree...life is the best teacher of all. ;) Coming to terms with this will be a long and sometimes difficult process. You'll need to accept the disorder itself, and the effects it's had on your life...the second being the hardest. BUT DO NOT get caught up in what has passed, the mistakes left behind in the wake. Use the past to learn. Make ammends by changing yourself in the present time for the future. That's the only way to heal and grow. :heart: