Food Real life mysteries you would like explained.

I agree that there are most likely life of some sort on other planets but there are a number of theories on why they might not contact us and we might not find them or contact them.

The most likely scenario in my opinion is just that the universe is so incomprehensibly big that despite their likely being plenty of life out there, the chance of any of us finding eachother both spatially and temporarily is statistically unlikely.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
The most likely scenario in my opinion is just that the universe is so incomprehensibly big that despite their likely being plenty of life out there, the chance of any of us finding eachother both spatially and temporarily is statistically unlikely.

This.
The distance between planets even in our own solar system is staggeringly massive.
The distance between stars is even bigger. Between galaxies, bigger still.
Despite our perceptions, outer space is mostly just void with little specks here and there.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
We probably could find someone if we were able to spam out high energy particles one the scale of a supernova. But even then, it would be a "chance" thing that the aliens would be looking at the right part of the sky at the right time ( several thousand years after it happened, meaning we need to maintain that signal for at least time time it take to get there, and then get a corresponding signal back.

So, to even have a chance of being heard, we have to broadcast supernova levels of energy for thousands of years. We could probably pulse it to cut down on the cost of that a little.

in that scale of galactic complexity, thatd probably do it. Supernovae are actually pretty rare even at the scales we're talking about

On average, a supernova will occur about once every 50 years in a galaxy the size of the Milky Way. Put another way, a star explodes every second or so somewhere in the universe

Then there is the other shit that might interfere, like the larger planets increased gravity being a bitch for them to escape and hostile surface conditions meaning they are underground and of limited mobility and advancement. They may have never even looked at the sky.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
This.
The distance between planets even in our own solar system is staggeringly massive.
The distance between stars is even bigger. Between galaxies, bigger still.
Despite our perceptions, outer space is mostly just void with little specks here and there.

Not to mention the GPS giving out half way through the trip.

also, humanity is stupid young on the galactic scale. Earth is actually kinda right in the middle of the age of the universe, but humanity has only been around for the tiniest portion of that period. And capable of extra-earth communication for less of it, and capable of breaking out of the gravity well for an even smaller portion.

We're barely newborns as far as species go, and its likely we kill eachother off before we reach infancy.

It sure is a mystery why they’re banning vaping when they don’t even know what was vaped, why it’s mostly underage kids when they can’t legally buy anything, etc.

And bans don’t work. Isn’t that the excuse for not banning other crap?

Those kids were putting tide pods in their vapes.
Mystery solved.

What's to say something else needs the same essentials for life as we do?
What's to say they have to operate under the same natural laws as we understand them?
That's our own hubris again thinking the entire universe and everything in it must operate in the only way we know.

But ya, how many stars and planets are out there, trillions? Quadrillions?
The chances of ours being the only one with some "life" on it are pretty slim.
All that's possible but I do think it's reasonable to think they have some sort of requirements of life beyond the vacuum of space and if they end up not having those requirements then they may lack the ability to communicate with us or even be detected by us or vice versa.

I could easily imagine a life form that floats through space surviving on radiation and dark matter but I'd be surprised if it had a space ship or even a mouth. How you or I define "life form" is a big part of this too, which makes it philosophical. Reality is huge and we likely don't know much about it in the grand scheme of things.

I choose to assume something isn't there until there is proof that it is and I have small faith in proof since it seems to change often or it's fabricated by those with power. My answer to most things is "Probably not... maybe... I don't know"

I’ve seen two UFOs in my time. Two occurrences, rather.

First was three saucers that were there, then they weren’t. Two other people (who weren’t stoned) saw them also.

The second time was unlike any version of a UFO you could imagine. It looked similar to a whitewashed Score Four game board and covered about a fourth of the sky.

Was not high that time, but whatever you fuckers won’t believe it anyway.