Halp Re-doing Home setup (IT-wise)

Might be slower as you are going through either a Firewire 800 or USB2.0 port, but if it's a data backup, it doesn't matter THAT much.

My need for speed is the accessibility to upload and download quickly. I would love to have install files of my games (downloadable version such as Eve) not take forever to transfer to my computer.

I believe they are Gigabit, but I'll have to look again (don't remember the model numbers off the top of my head). We're looking at the following setup most likely.

Wii (wireless)
Xbox (wired most likely)
WHS
2 Personal PCs (maybe a third if the wife wants one)
2 Laptops (if I decide to get one)

A fanless 8-port would work nice. But if you don't care about the fan noise and extra electricity usage there's no reason to buy a new one provided those are GigE.

SATA 1.0 and USB 1.0 :p

I've been considering doing Technet. All the licensing is valid as long as you remain a subscriber?

Technically for life. The serial numbers don't expire. Once you install and activate you are good to go.

he doesn't want to use his beater old computer. give it a rest :p

Well that is becoming clear NOW but it wasn't before. And besides, he could still use it, especially if he has some old IDE drives lying around he could jsut throw in there.

Get something newer then and slap in a nice Intel network card if the motherboard doesn't have Intel built in. Beats the piss out of a Realtek or anything else. PCI-E cards are something like $35 and well worth it.

Killer NIC ftw :drool:

I'm not reading 6 pages, but WHS and some MOCA gear. An old FIOS (MOCA) router allows you to have >100mbps 4 port switch where ever you have a cable drop. The routers can be had for as cheap as $25 and work PHENOMENALLY.

To catch fly up and to post what I plan on doing for a critique:

CAT6 throughout the house. (I'm going to have to run cable regardless if it's coax or CAT6)
If the Cisco switches aren't Gigabit, then Linksys EG008W Switch
Linksys WRT54G2 router for wireless (The current router is old and has to be re-booted once in a while)
WHS on an HP MediaSmart machine (If I can't find a mobo with SATA 3.0, USB 2.0, or firewire built in at home) - I decided against the Drobo (for now)

Now my next set of questions:
Connecting WHS to my Media Center. What's the best way to do this? (both video and audio)

A PC running Windows 7 will whack itself up with WHS rather nicely in terms of the Media Center stuff.

However, if you rip your DVD's to a flat file and don't care about menus, extras, and such an Xbox 360 would work quite nicely.

Oh, and if you're going to the trouble of pulling cable (well worth it IMO) double what you think you need for the data lines. It comes in handy later on. Pull an extra coax while you're at it too.

A PC running Windows 7 will whack itself up with WHS rather nicely in terms of the Media Center stuff.

However, if you rip your DVD's to a flat file and don't care about menus, extras, and such an Xbox 360 would work quite nicely.

Oh, and if you're going to the trouble of pulling cable (well worth it IMO) double what you think you need for the data lines. It comes in handy later on. Pull an extra coax while you're at it too.

This.

If you want, I can find another deal like I got with my WHS system. The CPU and mobo combo was $25 AR.

Explain the first?

And yeah I was going to pull 3 drops and 1 coax anyways.

Coqui, need some hard drives? :fly:

attachment.php

8 300 gig SATA drives. WOOT!