rdc

JAXvillain

Curly_Sue
Oct 13, 2004
Marklar
₥0
do you fellow IT people use rdc much? I am normally remoted into my main box 1 floor down and from that box am remoted into 2 others...from one of the last 2 I often remote into others as well...is this weird computer behavior?

woo, it's an rdc party!

for those not in IT who might be wondering, rdc is remote desktop connection

are you saying you remotely connect into a computer through a computer that you are currently remotely connected to? seems kind of excessive.

I've RDC'd into one server to then RDC into another server before. It's weird too, if you forget which box you are connected to. So I changed my computer to the servername, and hide one of the RDC toolbars at the top of one of the sessions and leave the other one open.

are you saying you remotely connect into a computer through a computer that you are currently remotely connected to? seems kind of excessive.

I have 2 offices...the computer I'm on normally as of late has none of my shit on it so I remote downstairs to that box...that box is my "personal" work computer which I don't do work from...it's for forums, music, movies, etc...from that computer I remote into another that does have my necessary work apps on it...I also remote into a server doing various stuffs from there...when the need arises I remote from my actual work computer to others to do whatever needs to be done...kind of convoluted

I use it a lot to connect to our servers when i'm at the office, and through remote web workplace to connect to my work computer from home.

i'd like to be able to remote in from the bar but they use ubuntu and i don't know enough to get it to work right. i'd love to be able to work after hours from the bar.

I RDC into servers whenever I need to get on them. Beats walking into a loud cold server room and typing on a console with only a touchpad mouse.

oh yeah.. I forgot to mention that I'm on a mac and the server is running win2k3. I wrote a BAT file the would beep when the machine was up and running, but come to find out the damn thing has 8 really loud fans, yet no PC speaker. :mad::mad:

Got an IM client on your Mac? Install pidgin and bonjour on the windoze box, wait for it to come on line, profit

oh yeah.. I forgot to mention that I'm on a mac and the server is running win2k3. I wrote a BAT file the would beep when the machine was up and running, but come to find out the damn thing has 8 really loud fans, yet no PC speaker. :mad::mad:

speaker on a server? :fly:

Got an IM client on your Mac? Install pidgin and bonjour on the windoze box, wait for it to come on line, profit

I wouldn't need bonjour, but it is still a good idea. And yes, I have Adium.

speaker on a server? :fly:

It's not like it's a rackmount or anything. Just a PowerEdge 1900 tower. It has a frickin' alarm speaker that beeps like crazy when you unplug a fan, but you can't access it from the os.

I use rdc to manage my servers when I'm in the office.
I use Logmein to connect to my pc in the office and then use rdc from the pc to the servers when I'm out of the office.

I RDC into the 2 servers we have here on campus that I administer. I RDC into my home computer while I'm at work sometimes, I RDC into my work computer from home sometimes.

I also use RDC to control a computer within a corporate client that I consult with on the side...their network is so tight that getting a port opened takes an act of god...So I VPN in and then RDC into a machine within their network. Problem solved.

I just ping servers when I reboot them, until I get a reply. Generally speaking, within 30secs of the first reply after rebooting, I can use the server again.

That's what I do with my colo box if I reboot after kernel updates or whatever. You can get software to automate the pings, like WhatsUpGold or whatever.