Ontopic Rationing healthcare based on lifestyle

They've proved that a few years ago that said smoking pot is worse on the lungs that cigarettes.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-07-31-marijuana-study_N.htm

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=large-study-finds-no-link

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196678,00.html

There were other reports about the fine airways in the lungs, but I can't find them right now. A lot of questions have been raised about the study you brought up. I think it is safe to say that a lot more research needs to be done before stating categorically that smoking pot is bad for you or what the effects on the body are. It's too bad we can't study it in this country so much, but we have some ridiculous laws about all that.

There were other reports about the fine airways in the lungs, but I can't find them right now. A lot of questions have been raised about the study you brought up. I think it is safe to say that a lot more research needs to be done before stating categorically that smoking pot is bad for you or what the effects on the body are. It's too bad we can't study it in this country so much, but we have some ridiculous laws about all that.

Bottom line smoking anything is bad for you.

pretty sure the study he quoted was the last gasp of the nancy reagan era of just say no

That's what I'm saying, I think there needs to be more research before you can say that about marijuana. Different is not necessarily bad. Like I said before, to date, nobody has ever died of smoking pot.

That's a typical pot smokers response. No one has die of smoking pot or it's from the earth so it must be good. When someone gets lung cancer or any other medial issue we have no way of knowing if it was the smoke, the booze, or just meant to happen. All we do know is that certain things are not good no matter what for your body.

What about people who contract AIDS through no fault of their own, like getting it from mom or (I know this is rare here and now) blood transfusion? Do we just decide those people don't matter? I'm not a big fan of the government getting to decide who does and does not get healthcare because I believe ultimately it will come down to the rich vs. the rest of us. Then again, I guess that's how it is now! Woohoo!

Also, cigarettes in this state are about $7.50 per pack. Most of that is taxes. I love how the state decides to base some of their revenue on taxes from cigarettes and then bans smoking in all public places and runs a massive 'quit smoking' campaign. Makes no sense.

When you're healthy but struggling to make ends meet and almost 20% of your paycheck, then 21%, then 22% as the years tick by are someone elses healthcare costs (because you're as healthy as a horse), this will be an easy decision at the ballot box.

In fact, when your congress men and women say 'we've got to get these costs under control. we have to make cuts' deciding if you should leave someone elses grandma plugged in on the government nipple won't be so hard.

They've lived a good life. Right? they smoked, they ate at mcD's, and we don't have the money. . . the reasoning will pile up and the vote will be easy. It's what's best. She wouldn't want it this way. . .

having a couple glasses of wine a day is good for you. how is it unfathomable that pot might have beneficial effects as well? we just don't know

That's a typical pot smokers response. No one has die of smoking pot or it's from the earth so it must be good. When someone gets lung cancer or any other medial issue we have no way of knowing if it was the smoke, the booze, or just meant to happen. All we do know is that certain things are not good no matter what for your body.

You are right, there is no way to prove one way or the other. It could be the chemicals sprayed on the lettuce you eat. By your rationalization we should all stop eating, drinking, breathing or doing anything at all because we might get sick from it. We know that the stuff is bad for us.

Nothing is good for you, everyone that drinks water dies, people that want to tax things they don't like should be shipped out of the country on rafts made from Big Mac containers.

Some dub fuck sponsored a bill to tax plastic grocery bags.

One of the comments on the news website was from a dirty ass hippie saying it was a great idea because she uses the "green" ones so everyone else should too. She even carries a couple around with her just to make sure she doesn't use evil plastic bags!

You are right, there is no way to prove one way or the other. It could be the chemicals sprayed on the lettuce you eat. By your rationalization we should all stop eating, drinking, breathing or doing anything at all because we might get sick from it. We know that the stuff is bad for us.

You just have to be mindful of what you are eating/doing and do everything in moderation. Hell you can't tell me that all that crap they've been putting into food especially hormones in milk isn't bad. I remember in high school we had like 2 guys with a mustache and the 1 chick with big boobs. These days kids in 6th grade have DDs and a full beard.

One of the comments on the news website was from a dirty ass hippie saying it was a great idea because she uses the "green" ones so everyone else should too. She even carries a couple around with her just to make sure she doesn't use evil plastic bags!

The tree hugging hippie in me agrees, but I can't force my opinions on everyone else. I don't want to legislate it. I just wish people would try.

I think they should do away the the plastic bags all together. They have done studies and they are the number one item found in landfills and in the ocean for pollution. We did fine for many years with paper and I don't see the reason not to get rid of them.

Some of the grocery chains are self-doing that around Boston, charging per plastic bag 'n such.

We have a ton of the "green" ones, but it's a pain in the ass to remember to grab them when leaving the house among the three thousand other things that have to happen.