Ontopic Rationing healthcare based on lifestyle

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥947
http://www2.journalnow.com/news/2011/jan/11/1/brown-criticized-for-remarks-about-hiv-ar-686379/

So NC state rep Larry Brown stated one of his goals after getting in office is to stop government funding for HIV and AIDS sufferer's health care. When pressed he said the same about smoker's and their health care funding.

In a sense I can agree with him but who is the government to decide how care is given to worthy citizens because of lifestyle choices? Private health insurers ask if a person smokes because they are at higher risk of diseases and are more expensive in the long run to pay for, so their premiums are higher. Can the government be allowed to do similar checks?

What about funding research into eradicating the disease? Should that be cut as well?

Well, people choose to smoke even though they know the consequences, so fuck em. My taxes shouldn't pay for their retarded decisions.

otoh, maybe cig taxes can completely pay for healthcare. raise the taxes even more.

I pay about $5.50 per pack for american spirits which cost a bit more but I smoke less of them per day. I avg 1/2 a pack a day. georgia is one of the least expensive states afaik.

I know Cleveland's stadiums are funded by the taxes. Is there a site that shows the breakdown of where the taxes on goods like cigarettes actually goes?

I need to improve my google skills.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub93.pdf

Twenty-ive cents (Proposition 99, November 1988) of the cigarette and tobacco products
surtax is used for the following purposes:

• � Tobacco-related health education programs and disease research.
• �Medical and hospital care and treatment of patients who cannot afford those services,
and for whom payment will not be made by any private coverage or federal program.
• � Programs for ire prevention; environmental conservation; protection, restoration,
enhancement, and maintenance of ish, waterfowl, and wildlife habitat areas; and
enhancement of state and local parks and recreation.

What about people who contract AIDS through no fault of their own, like getting it from mom or (I know this is rare here and now) blood transfusion? Do we just decide those people don't matter? I'm not a big fan of the government getting to decide who does and does not get healthcare because I believe ultimately it will come down to the rich vs. the rest of us. Then again, I guess that's how it is now! Woohoo!

Also, cigarettes in this state are about $7.50 per pack. Most of that is taxes. I love how the state decides to base some of their revenue on taxes from cigarettes and then bans smoking in all public places and runs a massive 'quit smoking' campaign. Makes no sense.

The real problem is fat people. I think healthcare should be based on BMI. Yes, Coqui, BMI. The higher it is, the more you pay. The fat people are the real cause of this health care nightmare.

What about all these people with cancer? They are a real drain too. We should just let them die. In fact, why don't we just go back to natural selection and let sick people die. It would certainly reduce our population. Lets all be christian scientists and the problem will just take care of itself.

What about all these people with cancer? They are a real drain too. We should just let them die. In fact, why don't we just go back to natural selection and let sick people die. It would certainly reduce our population. Lets all be christian scientists and the problem will just take care of itself.

ooh, how about an unceremonious dump off a cliff from a wheel chair? it would almost be like sparta! how retro.

434013_This-is-sparta-sign_620.jpg