Ontopic Random (Not So) New Music Thread

Today's challenge: how far can you make it through this before calling it quits?

One of Kurt Cobain's top 5 albums, apparently.

Tool: 'cause nothing makes you want to listen to a band like someone yammering on for half an hour about fibonacci sequences and shit.

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum
Tool: 'cause nothing makes you want to listen to a band like someone yammering on for half an hour about fibonacci sequences and shit.
Yes, I'm that guy.

Their song structures are neat, but I wish they had half a brain behind the mixing board during production. There's never going to be a dissection of the production of a Tool song, because they're all produced the same fuckin' way: same drum sound, same guitar sound, same bass sound, same nasally whining out of Maynard.

It's not like the one a few pages back where you could listen to More Than A Feelin' a totally different way after you'd heard the way the guitars were layered and doubled with an electric as the background and a 12 string acoustic up front.

That said, I'm still buying Fear Inoculum, because Tool's songwriting is amazeballs.

Oh, a band is allowed to never change their production values/sound/whatever, especially if they've got a formula that works. Hell, it works for AC/DC.

And Tool is a great sounding band. I love that dirrrrrty bass sound / piles of guitar feedback going on in Sober, and the bass line in Schism.

But really, at the end of the day, I don't sit there listening to every single little detail in the music that I listen to, and I'm not gonna be sitting there counting along 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 in my head when I'm listening to something. To me, that's a level of obsessive fandom that's similar to people who show up at Rocky Horror Picture Show screenings throwing rice and shit - I'm not into any band to that sort of level. And courtesy of a few tool fans I've known over the years, the moment I hear the band name, my first thought is "ugh"

In my brain, they're just one of the hundreds of cool bands from the 90's.

Oh, a band is allowed to never change their production values/sound/whatever, especially if they've got a formula that works. Hell, it works for AC/DC.

And Tool is a great sounding band. I love that dirrrrrty bass sound / piles of guitar feedback going on in Sober, and the bass line in Schism.

But really, at the end of the day, I don't sit there listening to every single little detail in the music that I listen to, and I'm not gonna be sitting there counting along 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 in my head when I'm listening to something. To me, that's a level of obsessive fandom that's similar to people who show up at Rocky Horror Picture Show screenings throwing rice and shit - I'm not into any band to that sort of level. And courtesy of a few tool fans I've known over the years, the moment I hear the band name, my first thought is "ugh"

thats paul d'amour on bass i prefer his tone too
he played a chris squire signature ric on those tracks i think

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant

HAVE YOU THE TIME TO DISCUSS THE GOLDEN RATIO?

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and HipHugHer