Ontopic Random (Not So) New Music Thread

oh for sure, fuck that album, but damnation was definitely the beginning of the end, and I definitely blame SW (I love SW on his own but get out of my metal)
IDK, I think Damnation/Deliverance honed Opeth's dynamic contrast. It's no "Sons of Northern Darkness", but it's definitely Opeth, just more so.

I don't think there would have been a Ghost Reveries without D&D, which is one of my favorite Opeth albums.

TLDR: Opeth have always been prog. It's just the last few that they went full retard.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
IDK, I think Damnation/Deliverance honed Opeth's dynamic contrast. It's no "Sons of Northern Darkness", but it's definitely Opeth, just more so.

I don't think there would have been a Ghost Reveries without D&D, which is one of my favorite Opeth albums.

TLDR: Opeth have always been prog. It's just the last few that they went full retard.

ghost reveries had some very cheesy melodies to me and I could never get past that to really get into it, it felt like pop verses in a couple spots. my favourite work of theirs is still the stuff that sounds like it was recorded in a swamp with mikael screaming into a potato though.

• Haha
Reactions: Jehannum
ghost reveries had some very cheesy melodies to me and I could never get past that to really get into it, it felt like pop verses in a couple spots. my favourite work of theirs is still the stuff that sounds like it was recorded in a swamp with mikael screaming into a potato though.
There's so much material out there that's already that, though.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Digital is fine, Ive no problem with it
I just like my vinyls is all
I'm in favor of record pressings of albums mastered in the time when the mastering engineer had to worry about things like noise floor. I have good copies of DSoTM, 1, 2, 3, 4, and The Song Remains the Same, but I don't find myself longing for more records, when modern masters only have to worry about clipping (in a non-wall-of-sound context, whose masters I hate regardless of medium).

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes