Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

If the primary side of the PSU blew up, you're probably in the clear. Based on smoke and fire it's probably a primary side failure.

If the secondary side rectifiers or output caps etc failed, that's when you worry.

If the primary side of the PSU blew up, you're probably in the clear. Based on smoke and fire it's probably a primary side failure.

If the secondary side rectifiers or output caps etc failed, that's when you worry.
did get any bangs, so im hoping it wasnt the output caps.

Ill take it apart tonight, discharge all the caps, and take a look.

Im guessing it was just a random failure, but a couple things did change.

New hard drives draw some more current on both the 12v and 5v lines than the old ones did, and the momentary power switch on that chassis is finicky, gets stuck on or off sometimes.

Wooo boy, that was a spectacular failure. The PSU on the new server just went out in a spectacular arc fault manner. Big big arcing noise, magic smoke. Older Corsair, but I'm sure glad that happened when I was here than when I wasn't.

Electricity makes some scary ass noises.

Doesn't look like it trashed the motherboard.... But the 600 bucks in hard drives are an unknown. Probably ok since the motherboard is, but who knows.

Will test later, I'm a bit jittery.
What in the fuck?!?! That sucks.

So I decided to setup an alert on /r/hardware swap for 8TB drives. :D

View attachment 16544
Your alert should have just been > Ask Domon > Notify Zac

Also, be sure to add /r/homelabsales Especially for SAS stuff. The ebay enterprise deals show up there first by a long shot, and even before that they show up on the servethehome forums.

Your alert should have just been > Ask Domon > Notify Zac

Also, be sure to add /r/homelabsales Especially for SAS stuff. The ebay enterprise deals show up there first by a long shot, and even before that they show up on the servethehome forums.
I did ask you. But will again. Please let me know if you see any deals.

edit: Fuck. Someone just sold out of 8TB on homelabsales for $65/ea. :(

edit2: What SAS controller would I need again?

I did ask you. But will again. Please let me know if you see any deals.

edit: Fuck. Someone just sold out of 8TB on homelabsales for $65/ea. :(

edit2: What SAS controller would I need again?
whats your price point. I regularly see 8tb in the 60 range, occassionally in the 50 range (usually the 4200 rpm ones), and almost never below that.

How many drives for the SAS controller?

whats your price point. I regularly see 8tb in the 60 range, occassionally in the 50 range (usually the 4200 rpm ones), and almost never below that.

How many drives for the SAS controller?
I have room for 4. I found the ebay link for the SAS controller you suggested.

thats a 16 port, you dont need that. Price rapidly goes up if you need that many ports.

Assuming you dont have a backplane and are just gonna route out to individual SAS connectors? SFF-8643 > breakouts or SFF-8087 > breakouts

yeah, that may be the first PSU ive ever had die on me, especially in such a spectacular and fire causing fashion
You are too concerned about safety. As a professional electrician I can assure you, the fire department is very quick to respond.

thats a 16 port, you dont need that. Price rapidly goes up if you need that many ports.

Assuming you dont have a backplane and are just gonna route out to individual SAS connectors? SFF-8643 > breakouts or SFF-8087 > breakouts
So then lets say 8 ports to future-proof?

just get the 16 if you're looking to futureproof. Pricing for a 8i is gonna be similar.

Remember, SAS controllers can control sata too.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Wooo boy, that was a spectacular failure. The PSU on the new server just went out in a spectacular arc fault manner. Big big arcing noise, magic smoke. Older Corsair, but I'm sure glad that happened when I was here than when I wasn't.

Electricity makes some scary ass noises.

Doesn't look like it trashed the motherboard.... But the 600 bucks in hard drives are an unknown. Probably ok since the motherboard is, but who knows.

Will test later, I'm a bit jittery.

Sounds like some of the testing weve done
One day we ran 10kv of ac power through a spool of 3phase 1/0 cable to test for defects because I think it got hit by a forklift or something
Sounded like a giant bowl of rice crispies while it was running through it. Never sparked though.

Ive gotten some connectors back from the field that were put together by ham-fisted idiots and the connection inside shorted to ground and burned a quarter-sized hole through about 0.3" thick 4130 steel before the pump motor kicked off. Those motors can run @ 5kv and around 190amps at startup. So needless to say if the connector isnt put together correctly they can get all sparky

• Haha
Reactions: fly
Fuckity fuck fuck fuck. Looks like it toasted all the backplanes in the case. Drives are an unknown. Can't get replacements for the backplanes either.

That's by far the worst scenario, id rather it had killed the drives than the case

• Sad
Reactions: fly and Josh
Fuckity fuck fuck fuck. Looks like it toasted all the backplanes in the case. Drives are an unknown. Can't get replacements for the backplanes either.

That's by far the worst scenario, id rather it had killed the drives than the case
Holy fuck. That's completely insane.