Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

AAA battery size.

The computer ran in cycles of 45 minutes of calculating sums of consecutive integers to simulate a computational workload, which required 0.3 microwatts of power, and 15 minutes of standby, which required 0.24 microwatts.

Ignoring the differential between standby and load:

Thats 0.0003 mW load x (24 hours x 6 months). Thats 4320 hours at .0003mW (.0000003W)

Cortex M0+ operates at 1.8 V to 3.6 V. Lets assume they were operating at minimum voltage.

Thats a .00000017 amp load at 1.8v.

Overall capacity over the full 4320 hours of the battery is 0.0013 Wh. At 1.8v that is 0.72222222222 mAH

A aaa battery at 1.8v (overprovisioned) has 850-1,200 mAh capacity.

TLDR: This entire paper is useless bullshit.

At their same load, the Cortex M0+ would run for 1000X longer on a AAA battery.
There are a ton of existing technologies that would work as well, I'm more interested in whether I could use pre-existing sources of algae, like my neighbors' pool.

or maybe this piss moat:

AAA battery size.

The computer ran in cycles of 45 minutes of calculating sums of consecutive integers to simulate a computational workload, which required 0.3 microwatts of power, and 15 minutes of standby, which required 0.24 microwatts.

Ignoring the differential between standby and load:

Thats 0.0003 mW load x (24 hours x 6 months). Thats 4320 hours at .0003mW (.0000003W)

Cortex M0+ operates at 1.8 V to 3.6 V. Lets assume they were operating at minimum voltage.

Thats a .00000017 amp load at 1.8v.

Overall capacity over the full 4320 hours of the battery is 0.0013 Wh. At 1.8v that is 0.72222222222 mAH

A aaa battery at 1.8v (overprovisioned) has 850-1,200 mAh capacity.

TLDR: This entire paper is useless bullshit.

At their same load, the Cortex M0+ would run for 1000X longer on a AAA battery.
I mean, did you really expect it to perform like a AAA? :wtf:

@Domon After a false start, I got that mikrotik router installed. That thing is intense for my feeble little brain. I wanted to change the network from using 192.168.88.0 to using 192.168.1.0 (cause I have no idea what might be hardcoded, and I don't care to find out rn). Turns out, you have to make changes in like six different areas to make that happen.

:lol:

For now my Orbi wifi shit is just running in AP mode. Next I will setup the Omada AP and sunset all this Orbi stuff.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and Domon
@Domon After a false start, I got that mikrotik router installed. That thing is intense for my feeble little brain. I wanted to change the network from using 192.168.88.0 to using 192.168.1.0 (cause I have no idea what might be hardcoded, and I don't care to find out rn). Turns out, you have to make changes in like six different areas to make that happen.

:lol:

For now my Orbi wifi shit is just running in AP mode. Next I will setup the Omada AP and sunset all this Orbi stuff.
you're building new skills :)

and yeah, changing your base range requires 5 steps... but the initial quickset can do it for you in a wizard.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
It looks like it was actually cause I was testing it with the AP on the floor. :lol:

However, I've now run into the old problem I have in that @APRIL's PC won't do wireless. Fuck. Not sure how I forgot about that. Just for fun, I think I'm going to try a PCI NIC.
PUT A LIVE LINUX CD IN IT AND SEE IF IT'S A WINDERS PROBLEMO

So I created an SSID with another VLAN tag on my Omada AP. I want this SSID to not have any internet access, but still be able to talk to my Home Assistant. How do I do that on the Mikrotik side? Everything I've seen seems to mention setting certain ports to a VLAN, but its a single port going to the AP. I assumed this was possible with VLAN tagging, but I'm a *terrible* network admin.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Another question. I have VLAN tagging setup on my AP. And the Mikrotik router setup to hand out a different set of IPs for that VLAN. The only thing I can't figure out is how to prevent that VLAN from talking to anything else on the network.

@Josh @Domon

Another question. I have VLAN tagging setup on my AP. And the Mikrotik router setup to hand out a different set of IPs for that VLAN. The only thing I can't figure out is how to prevent that VLAN from talking to anything else on the network.

@Josh @Domon
Firewall rules within the Mikrotik will do that.
So I created an SSID with another VLAN tag on my Omada AP. I want this SSID to not have any internet access, but still be able to talk to my Home Assistant. How do I do that on the Mikrotik side? Everything I've seen seems to mention setting certain ports to a VLAN, but its a single port going to the AP. I assumed this was possible with VLAN tagging, but I'm a *terrible* network admin.

Is this possible? If so, how?
Firewall deny rule on that vlan will do this.

Is there any phone-esque (small, battery) device that's a high-quality audio player and DAC first, with wifi browsing?

Edit: Eh nvm.

Last edited: