Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Today I figured out an annoying network connectivity issue at a client's office. New Dell server for 4 port GigE NIC, UniFi switch with Link Aggregation & VLANs, NIC Teaming, and Hyper-V virtual switch configured in Windows Server 2022 with a couple of virtual machines. I wrote a KB article so I'd remember how to get this setup again.

Today I figured out an annoying network connectivity issue at a client's office. New Dell server for 4 port GigE NIC, UniFi switch with Link Aggregation & VLANs, NIC Teaming, and Hyper-V virtual switch configured in Windows Server 2022 with a couple of virtual machines. I wrote a KB article so I'd remember how to get this setup again.
I've learned to make notepad document walkthroughs for everything.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Josh
I suppose if I drop a gigE port into the laundry room, I could probably move my Jetson TK1 that's currently doing ZoneMinder stuff on the other two cameras and have the same result.

Kiddo had a birthday recently, and we went up to my parents place where I grew up. We rooted through the barn to find the old toys I had and let each kid pick something to bring home.

Kid had a remote control car from wal-mart, not a particularly cheap one either that they really loved, but that had died after two uses, and was crap to begin with (couldnt even climb up on a rug it was so weak).

We found this from my childhood in the barn:

It has an actual gearbox (low and high), is true 4x4, and pretty sure it could climb a tree if the wheels were sticky enough. Its just as awesome as I remember it being as a kid, and works perfectly.

Takes 4 C batteries, + a 9 volt though. Completely different circuit battery and electronics for the 28mhz controller.

Also... found an original gameboy with Zelda, Micromachines Racing, a Star Wars mario clone, and a Jurassic Park mario clone. Other kid absolutely loves that thing.

5.18 kernel is getting better. I was able to transcode a video for about 10 minutes (previously it would crash the container after 1-2 minutes). However, my stress test of sync/downloading a bunch of files caused a crash.

AAA battery size.

The computer ran in cycles of 45 minutes of calculating sums of consecutive integers to simulate a computational workload, which required 0.3 microwatts of power, and 15 minutes of standby, which required 0.24 microwatts.

Ignoring the differential between standby and load:

Thats 0.0003 mW load x (24 hours x 6 months). Thats 4320 hours at .0003mW (.0000003W)

Cortex M0+ operates at 1.8 V to 3.6 V. Lets assume they were operating at minimum voltage.

Thats a .00000017 amp load at 1.8v.

Overall capacity over the full 4320 hours of the battery is 0.0013 Wh. At 1.8v that is 0.72222222222 mAH

A aaa battery at 1.8v (overprovisioned) has 850-1,200 mAh capacity.

TLDR: This entire paper is useless bullshit.

At their same load, the Cortex M0+ would run for 1000X longer on a AAA battery.

I like the idea of biochemical cells. Like your battery electrolyte can multiply on its own, and perhaps you can modify the bacteria to eat certain types of waste streams etc. There might be some sort of weird application/use for it.

IoT is a buzzword these days and researchers keep trying to find IoT applications for stuff, I wouldn't knock what they've developed because they thought it'd be suitable for that.

As far as powering IoT stuff, IXYS makes little "IXOLAR" solar cells which you can solder directly to a PCB, next to a supercap you can use for energy storage for overnighting and handling current peaks. Cheap, and no wearout mechanism so shit'll last for decades.