Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

mesh is an AP function, not a switch function.

You didnt answer the CLI question, so im gonna assume GUI is preferred.

Ubiquiti Edgerouter or USG
Small ubiquiti POE 802.11at switch (none of that 24 passive ubiquiti bullshit)
whatever AP is best for your application

the alternative is mikrotik gear, which is vastly superior, but pretty steep on the learning curve

as for boots on the ground, ive done both solutions, as well as full enterprise shit. I obviously prefer full enterprise shit.
Yeah, for the shit I do, GUI. And of course mesh is an AP function. wtf

I've priced Ubiquiti stuff before. I was hoping to not have to spend that much. That's why I was intrigued by @Valve1138's suggestion. :lol:

fly works his ass off.

Me.... i buy used shit on discount on ebay. Its a luxury for sure to have a hobby to play in though

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
fly works his ass off.

Me.... i buy used shit on discount on ebay. Its a luxury for sure to have a hobby to play in though
I'm fairly sure you're the lock picking lawyer. YouTube monies must be nice. My friend gets about $500 per reel on insta

I'm fairly sure you're the lock picking lawyer. YouTube monies must be nice. My friend gets about $500 per reel on insta
nah, although that would have been a skill I would have loved to pick up if i had the time when I was younger. I did a bit of physical access work, but never fully developed it.

@Valve1138 mentioned that.

Oh, also wireless backhaul for the mesh. Fuck wires.
I have a couple of these for mesh with wireless backhaul

Amazon product ASIN B01NAAWOGO
They work fine, although i had to do a pretty extensive survey to get the height and the antennas pointed right. The radiation pattern is not what youd expect. I started with em on a 20ft pole and coverage was awful, and what ultimately ended up being best was about waist height with the antenna dipoles at 45.

I have a couple of these for mesh with wireless backhaul

Amazon product ASIN B01NAAWOGO
They work fine, although i had to do a pretty extensive survey to get the height and the antennas pointed right. The radiation pattern is not what youd expect. I started with em on a 20ft pole and coverage was awful, and what ultimately ended up being best was about waist height with the antenna dipoles at 45.
Is all this worth the extra money as compared to what Valve suggested? Initially I doubt I actually need mesh, but it would be nice to be able to add the option later.

I really dislike the hardware controller concept (that om-200 thing, or a cloud key).
be aware for vlan support you'll need a managed switch (as that reddit post says).

Im gonna propose something that might require a learning curve, but will ultimately be simpler.

It does have a GUI, but mikrotik is firmly on the high end of prosumer.

That would eliminate the need for the injectors, as it has POE on all ports, its a very good router, and it can provide power to any AP of your choice (including those omadas)

@fly you may also want to consider the Ruckus R500 APs on ebay. Exceptional performance APs, and self managed (just login to them via IP). Bonus that theyre all mesh capable with the check of a box in the interface.

I really dislike the hardware controller concept (that om-200 thing, or a cloud key).
be aware for vlan support you'll need a managed switch (as that reddit post says).

Im gonna propose something that might require a learning curve, but will ultimately be simpler.

It does have a GUI, but mikrotik is firmly on the high end of prosumer.

That would eliminate the need for the injectors, as it has POE on all ports, its a very good router, and it can provide power to any AP of your choice (including those omadas)
But then I would end up with two different management points, correct? One for the router, one for the AP. Or would that be the case anyway?

This Ebay link a good deal?

But then I would end up with two different management points, correct? One for the router, one for the AP. Or would that be the case anyway?

This Ebay link a good deal?

You would indeed have two distinct interfaces for management. Honestly, though, you're gonna almost never touch the AP management interface once you set it up.

that price is fine. Once you have POE, you're gonna want more POE.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
This suggests it does.

So if I were to go with the Omada stuff, I think I'm at about $180 all in.

Router $60 Amazon product ASIN B08QTXNWZ1
AC1750 AP $80 Amazon product ASIN B07NMZR3F1
PoE injector for AP $20 Amazon product ASIN B001PS9E5I
And if I want to run mesh, there's an Unraid docker for the software controller. Otherwise the hardware controller is $100.

That switch says Omada SDN Integrated.

That's your hardware controller if I'm not mistaken.

Is that a useful contribution?