Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

no manual bypass is a fire marshal issue around here. Everything is physically keyed as well as mag-locked.

Got tired of the the Fire TV Cube being.... well, an amazon product. Slow, freezy, plex implementation is mediocre.

Finally found a Shield TV for a reasonable price and grabbed it. Looking forward to it.
:( kinda disappointed in the shield TV for how great people have said it is. Very buggy in key areas.

It does however, direct play everything from plex, which the fireTV was terrible at. So i now have good 7.1 audio that the fireTV never did right, and direct play on everything.

Gamestream/Geforce Now is just utterly broken. The controller stops working the minute you enter a game and you have to hard reset the console. Apparently this has been a known problem since 2017.

Google assistant for media control only works like 10% of the time.

on a different note, ive got all the part of my 2u on order.

Istar d200 chassis that takes a standard atx psu and has plenty of cooling space, i5-7600 for HEVC 10bit transcoding, 16gigs of ram, random-ass ATX mobo that the dude threw in for cheap with the cpu+ram.

Already have a psu, will need to get a pci-e NIC for second/third PHYs for opnsense/pfsense.

Should be much more expandable for my needs than the NUC. All in for just over 200 bucks.

on a different note, ive got all the part of my 2u on order.

Istar d200 chassis that takes a standard atx psu and has plenty of cooling space, i5-7600 for HEVC 10bit transcoding, 16gigs of ram, random-ass ATX mobo that the dude threw in for cheap with the cpu+ram.

Already have a psu, will need to get a pci-e NIC for second/third PHYs for opnsense/pfsense.

Should be much more expandable for my needs than the NUC. All in for just over 200 bucks.
In your travels, if you happen to run across something reasonable that will hold 12+ drives, let me know. ;)

In your travels, if you happen to run across something reasonable that will hold 12+ drives, let me know. ;)
problem with 3u's or so thatll hold 12 drives is that they almost universally have xeons in em, which dont have quicksync. So to get quicksync you're in homebuild territory.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
actually looks like its improved a lot since i last looked at it.
I guess it doesn't really matter since you've got the shield, but I don't think I've had an issue with it in a very long time.

edit: And HA can control it, so it starts right up in Plex for me. Which adds to the WAF.

I guess it doesn't really matter since you've got the shield, but I don't think I've had an issue with it in a very long time.

edit: And HA can control it, so it starts right up in Plex for me. Which adds to the WAF.
you also dont do 4k atmos shit. But it actually seems like its good at that now too

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
new 2u is niiiiiice. Fits nicely in the vertical rack, is staying nice and cool even in vert orientation which is a bitch due to stack effect, and is immediately hugely more powerful than the NUC was.

I dunno if its the extra 8 gigs of ram, or the NVmE drive, but its very noticeably faster

hey @Jehannum

ZFS is confusing as fuck when you're used to traditional filesystems. Advice on how to use mount points like you would in ext4 or xfs?

IE, in a normal filesystem I would mount a cifs-share like this:

fstab:
//192.168.1.12/z /mnt/z cifs user,uid=1000,username=domon,gid=1000,password=hunter2 0 0

In ZFS I have no clue how to do this. what is /mnt/z equivalent of a zpool (named nvme for example)

hey @Jehannum

ZFS is confusing as fuck when you're used to traditional filesystems. Advice on how to use mount points like you would in ext4 or xfs?

IE, in a normal filesystem I would mount a cifs-share like this:

fstab:
//192.168.1.12/z /mnt/z cifs user,uid=1000,username=domon,gid=1000,password=hunter2 0 0

In ZFS I have no clue how to do this. what is /mnt/z equivalent of a zpool (named nvme for example)
ZFS manages its own mount and unmount events, so you set it up using the zfs commands (even though regular old 'mount' tracks them when you call it).

It's been a minute since I did it, but I think it is:
Code:
zfs set mountpoint=mnt/z nvme

Then it'll come up and go down when you boot/down the system.