Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Question for someone who is more knowledgeable than me on this subject:

One of my favorite bands had a live streaming concert a few months ago. I paid the "admission" fee and watched the show live. Afterwards, I downloaded the stream (as you were given up to 48 hours to watch or re-watch the concert). After downloading the mp4 (4GB for about 1.75 hours of video), the audio/video is out of sync. I can manually adjust in VLC PLayer, but the problem is it varies from being too fast to being too slow, like almost a second... i.e super noticeable and really annoying. I'm wondering if the server did this on purpose to discourage piracy. Also wondering if there is some way to unfuck the sync issue.

One of my favorite bands had a live streaming concert a few months ago. I paid the "admission" fee and watched the show live. Afterwards, I downloaded the stream (as you were given up to 48 hours to watch or re-watch the concert). After downloading the mp4 (4GB for about 1.75 hours of video), the audio/video is out of sync. I can manually adjust in VLC PLayer, but the problem is it varies from being too fast to being too slow, like almost a second... i.e super noticeable and really annoying. I'm wondering if the server did this on purpose to discourage piracy. Also wondering if there is some way to unfuck the sync issue.
Some servers do this intentionally because they know audio will process faster, but that can be a fail too, since hardware latencies vary so much between user systems. Podcasts do it a lot so they won't look stupid due to the lack of sync. Probably not a bad idea for them since they are often starting out with shit hardware. There is software to try and unfuck it . . . .
Sorry man. Curious - who's the band? No judgement :)

Some servers do this intentionally because they know audio will process faster, but that can be a fail too, since hardware latencies vary so much between user systems. Podcasts do it a lot so they won't look stupid due to the lack of sync. Probably not a bad idea for them since they are often starting out with shit hardware. There is software to try and unfuck it . . . .
Sorry man. Curious - who's the band? No judgement :)
Nightwish, 150,000 live streaming views, I guess set some records for streaming shows during quarantine.

huh, I wonder if their SMPTE timecode was wonky. It does sound like some kind of anti-piracy thing, but I've never heard of that scheme in particular.

I don't think @wetwillie knows what he's talking about, as usual.

Is it a slow drift over the entire file, or does it "wobble?"

Slow drift could be the audio being at the right sample rate, but the video being encoded at 29.97fps and played at 30fps or something to that effect. If that was the case, it'd give an error of 3.6 seconds over 1 hour if that matches up with what you're seeing.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum

Slow drift could be the audio being at the right sample rate, but the video being encoded at 29.97fps and played at 30fps or something to that effect. If that was the case, it'd give an error of 3.6 seconds over 1 hour if that matches up with what you're seeing.
Oh shit, that's probably it - the video is from a bunch of Finnish dorks, so it's probably at 25FPS.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon

It wobbles, goes too fast, then too slow. That's why manual adjustments are annoying.

Capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

Not that, then. Not sure what the procedure for fixing that is.

Maybe someone ripped, fixed and threw it up on pirate bay or elsewhere - that'd be my fix.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie