Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Is this still in IT?
Yup! My department is responsible for Exchange (migrating to exchange online in the next month), Sharepoint (migrating to sharepoint online in the next 3 months), Skype (migrating to Teams early next year), managing/patching our 20,000 Win 10 clients (trying to switch from SCCM to Intune now), mobile device management(migrating away from mobile iron to Intune MDM), the service desk, and uhm the corporate helpdesk. Oh we also administer our Azure Dev Ops deployment. Shit we also manage all our conference room infrastructure (currently poly) and our corporate telecom.

As you can see there is a lot of shit going on to try and manage. I've only been in current role for 3 months now, I used to just lead the team responsible for our 20k win 10 clients so I've had a lot of learning that i'm still trying to grasp everything.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and fly
Yup! My department is responsible for Exchange (migrating to exchange online in the next month), Sharepoint (migrating to sharepoint online in the next 3 months), Skype (migrating to Teams early next year), managing/patching our 20,000 Win 10 clients (trying to switch from SCCM to Intune now), mobile device management(migrating away from mobile iron to Intune MDM), the service desk, and uhm the corporate helpdesk. Oh we also administer our Azure Dev Ops deployment. Shit we also manage all our conference room infrastructure (currently poly) and our corporate telecom.

As you can see there is a lot of shit going on to try and manage. I've only been in current role for 3 months now, I used to just lead the team responsible for our 20k win 10 clients so I've had a lot of learning that i'm still trying to grasp everything.
Your jd may actually prove valuable if you move up towards cio or cso

• Gravy
Reactions: MadDog
Your jd may actually prove valuable if you move up towards cio or cso
For sure, I've had to do some contract reviews for products we have purchased and many meetings with Legal over stuff we roll out as there are lots of GDPR concerns. Right now we are trying to roll out a work from home requesting tool and we have to build it in such a way that it doesn't violate "employee tracking" GDPR laws.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon

Good for you man. That's fucking awesome! That's some pretty huge progress in a few years time. Proud of you bud!

• Gravy
Reactions: MadDog
Good for you man. That's fucking awesome! That's some pretty huge progress in a few years time. Proud of you bud!
Thank you sir! I've been grinding hard at this company and been pretty ruthless in getting raises/promotions. Started at the bottom 5 years ago doing helpdesk.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mikeawesome

This all is good moves, as someone who helps SMBs move from on-prem to the cloud. Because there are few reasons to be on-prem anymore. Especially Exchange. Fuck Exchange. When it goes angry, it's not fun to be around.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and MadDog
Are there any 802.11 cards for windows that don't suck donkey balls when coming out of sleep? I don't want my stupid i7 idling for days on end between game times.

Are there any 802.11 cards for windows that don't suck donkey balls when coming out of sleep? I don't want my stupid i7 idling for days on end between game times.
uhh, most anything should wake up from idle just fine. what problem are you having?

You could always just have it go only to s2 if you're concerned solely about the proc. Proc is off in s1 and s2 and wifi wouldnt go to sleep. wifi only goes to sleep in s3 and 4

uhh, most anything should wake up from idle just fine. what problem are you having?

You could always just have it go only to s2 if you're concerned solely about the proc. Proc is off in s1 and s2 and wifi wouldnt go to sleep. wifi only goes to sleep in s3 and 4
Shit wakes up, then won't join the network. It's not a signal strength issue, it just doesn't join for whatever reason.

I've gotten around it by using a wireless bridge for a while, but that shit's starting to get wonky too.

Shit wakes up, then won't join the network. It's not a signal strength issue, it just doesn't join for whatever reason.

I've gotten around it by using a wireless bridge for a while, but that shit's starting to get wonky too.
yeah, id just set it to s2 so it never disconnects.

Every wireless card I have in the house does that bullshit. I just assume it's something broken in Windows 10.

Toggling the laptop in and out of airplane mode usually brings it back with minimum fucking around, but it's annoying.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
So yeah, Intel Wireless-AC 8260 (this laptop) and Wireless-AC 7260 (thinkpad) are two cards to avoid as they both do it.