Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Dishy update:

I received the pipe mount adapter a few days ago. This morning I moved Dishy to its permanent home. I didn't buy the installers kit so I had to jury rig a cable entrance grommet from a milk jug and some caulk to seal it. I'll figure out something more permanent.
20210529_120126 (Medium).jpg20210529_120355 (Medium).jpg20210529_121140 (Medium).jpg20210529_124429 (Medium).jpg20210529_124440 (Medium).jpg

When my parents building switched away from Comcast to Hotwire for intertvnets, it meant STB’s that use ethernet.

My parents condo was wired with cat 6 when they moved in. Two drops per room.

Hotwire took one drop, ripping the cables off the patch panel and cutting jacks on to run to their own switch for the STB’s.

Except in my dads office.

The dummy cut down the Jack wrong, gave up, used the drop still on the patch panel, and called it a day.

This left the Netgear Orbis in full Wi-Fi backhaul across a 3500 sq ft single floor condo with metal stud walls.

My dad knows nothing about this shit.

Last time I was here I got the two farthest Orbis plugged in.

This time I had tools to fix his office drop.

All it took was recutting the Jack.

I hate lazy techs.

Went from 40mbps end to end, to 800mbps.

• Gravy
  • Love
Reactions: Josh and wetwillie
@gee

Got this thing at a garage sale for a buck. Was running at the time, got it home and plugged it in and nada.
What can I hit with a hammer to get it to work again?

50I68kb.jpg

OrsAVUs.jpg

r1EsGgm.jpg

every busted fan ive ever worked on has been a bad run cap. Easy fix.

Looks like you have access to all three wires for the motor winding, so easy check of each component with a multimeter

Yeah, got a multimeter? If it measures capacitance, disconnect the cap and measure it.

Another obvious clue the cap's bad is if the fan hums but doesn't turn.

IF you tried it at all 3 speeds and no love, it is very unlikely it is the windings. Basic 2 wire fan cap is $4+, don't bother checking it, they go every X numbers of discharges. You're already in there. Still no love - save the cap, you'll need one again. In FLorida ;)

Trying to install Ubuntu on my old desktop. Can't get keyboard (or mouse) working for live boot. Accidentally tried from the desktop ISO first, then from the server ISO. Confirmed keyboard works elsewhere. I feel like I'm retarded here.

Trying to install Ubuntu on my old desktop. Can't get keyboard (or mouse) working for live boot. Accidentally tried from the desktop ISO first, then from the server ISO. Confirmed keyboard works elsewhere. I feel like I'm retarded here.
wireless keyboard and mouse? Bluetooth stuff wont work in live boot someimtes

Nope. Wired. Even tried their newer HWE kernel, whatever in the fuck that really is.

edit: And tried all the USB ports, including on the front, the USB2 ports, etc.
Is there some other mode you can set your USB controller to?

I've never had that problem before, it seems like a weird one.