Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

@fly i'd recommend switching to adguard home. Its been flawless for about 3 days, the only site it breaks on is woot.com (as referred by slickdeals). I added an exception for that and it works perfectly.

Bonus points for it being a home assistant addon.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Super quick temporary Starlink install at home. Spent more time untangling Dishy's damn network cord than it took for Dishy to connect. Pipe mount adapter coming next month so it'll be installed on the satellite dish J-Arm mount on the roof and not sitting on the lawn. Also need to get a grommet to cover the cable entrance in siding. Had to enlarge the hole slightly to get the network cable and line choke to fit through into the basement. Ran a 4K YouTube test video for the first time at home.187012375_10158668138004262_2038568457544426389_n.jpg188837719_10158668137939262_4197831268055084180_n.jpg188985139_10158668137809262_2921374937560337562_n.jpg

Super quick temporary Starlink install at home. Spent more time untangling Dishy's damn network cord than it took for Dishy to connect. Pipe mount adapter coming next month so it'll be installed on the satellite dish J-Arm mount on the roof and not sitting on the lawn. Also need to get a grommet to cover the cable entrance in siding. Had to enlarge the hole slightly to get the network cable and line choke to fit through into the basement. Ran a 4K YouTube test video for the first time at home.View attachment 14292View attachment 14293View attachment 14294
How's the uptime though?

Question: Has anyone here purchased Azure hosting, not the basic, one of the more elite packages? I was boxed into pondering it a while back, just wasn't seeing a cost benefit. Disclosure - dedicated MS hate-boy.

Hosting? Azure is IaaS. Do you mean rent a Windows instance from them?
No - Azure is sold/offered as both iasS and PasS. I'm talkin just the IasS, Im not a friggin developer :) . It felt pricey to me. Not super pricey just 25% more than running the same setup on a Linux box. And you can't bring your own DNS with their cheaper plans. FUck that, I want Cloudflare, OpenDNS, or Verisign, not MS.

Last edited:
Any good reco's on a high end laptop? I have a company burner for onsite work that's fairly new but still a shitbox. It's got double the benchmark scores of my own shitbox so its starting to make me sad panda.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Any good reco's on a high end laptop? I have a company burner for onsite work that's fairly new but still a shitbox. It's got double the benchmark scores of my own shitbox so its starting to make me sad panda.
I'm holding out for a 16" macbook pro with the new Apple silicon, but that might be a ways down the pike, since the M1 doesn't work with GPUs yet.

I'm holding out for a 16" macbook pro with the new Apple silicon, but that might be a ways down the pike, since the M1 doesn't work with GPUs yet.
I've heard rumor from my teammates that there might be macbooks coming down the pipeline soon. That will just replace my current burner so I still need a new high ender.

What do you guys think of these?

Amazon product ASIN B0897ZBRQR
Amazon product ASIN B08FZR417K

I've heard rumor from my teammates that there might be macbooks coming down the pipeline soon. That will just replace my current burner so I still need a new high ender.

What do you guys think of these?

Amazon product ASIN B0897ZBRQR
Amazon product ASIN B08FZR417K
Depends what you plan to do with it

• Gravy
Reactions: JAXvillain