Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

I have a Seagate SMR drive with 250k/s write speeds (which is even too slow for SMR :lol: ). I pulled the drive out of the array. It's out of warranty. Anything I can do?

No, thats an SMR thing. They can get down to sub 1MB/s if the CMR buffer is full, and that buffer does not clear quick. Like hours to clear it. And then it refills

No, thats an SMR thing. They can get down to sub 1MB/s if the CMR buffer is full, and that buffer does not clear quick. Like hours to clear it. And then it refills

They're sequential writes though. It's my understanding that in that case, it doesn't even need the buffer.

APC battery backups suck donkey dick because APC designs their chargers to put +14VDC on the batteries all the fucking time. No trickle charge, no top off. That dries out the batteries, heats them up, and causes them to swell. Oh and they don't give a fuck about bad batteries. Units will pass their 14 day self test no problem with bad batteries. Ugh.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
APC battery backups suck donkey dick because APC designs their chargers to put +14VDC on the batteries all the fucking time. No trickle charge, no top off. That dries out the batteries, heats them up, and causes them to swell. Oh and they don't give a fuck about bad batteries. Units will pass their 14 day self test no problem with bad batteries. Ugh.
Whats a good battery backup then?

IDK, I've got a BackUPS 200 that's still on its original battery from 1997, and a SmartUPS 1500 that's on the second round of batteries from the early '00s.

I did have one go tits up from swollen batteries, but that was the same way my cyberpower Costco shitter went out last month.

IDK, I've got a BackUPS 200 that's still on its original battery from 1997, and a SmartUPS 1500 that's on the second round of batteries from the early '00s.

I did have one go tits up from swollen batteries, but that was the same way my cyberpower Costco shitter went out last month.

When was the last time they provided back up power?

Having a really odd issue. Picked up a couple WD 8TB drives. After running a full test on the drive, and taping the 3.3v pins, I added it to the server. Now when I attempt to boot, the BIOS hangs with a message in the lower corner saying B2.

wtf