Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Once you go business class, you never go back.

<3 thinkpads, and the local shop that buys them at auctions and resells them dirt cheap. And the Dells at work aren't half bad too.
yeah, HP was setting me up with their business class notebooks.

They were shitboxes from day 1. Crap-ass AMD chips with plastic bodies.

The Dell thinger I bought to run AEM Tuner under windows 10 ain't bad though. We'll see how it holds up to my kid using it for the rest of the f'n semester at school.

yeah, HP was setting me up with their business class notebooks.

They were shitboxes from day 1. Crap-ass AMD chips with plastic bodies.

I will never buy a laptop that's not a metal body.. That's not the reason I bought my macbook though. I bought it for the trackpad. I have yet to come across a PC that had a trackpad that's even half as good as Apple makes. Software and hardware are just really good. Also, https://www.macofalltrades.com/ is a great place for refurbed Macs. Way cheaper than Apple's nonsense.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
I will never buy a laptop that's not a metal body.. That's not the reason I bought my macbook though. I bought it for the trackpad. I have yet to come across a PC that had a trackpad that's even half as good as Apple makes. Software and hardware are just really good. Also, https://www.macofalltrades.com/ is a great place for refurbed Macs. Way cheaper than Apple's nonsense.
Another advantage of thinkpads: magnesium frame. I bought a T410 for parts and gave it a viking funeral afterwards.

170904808IMG201709041928191.jpg

• Haha
  • Gravy
Reactions: fly and JAXvillain
I've sold a few Panasonic Toughbooks to an electrician client of mine. They use them for programming and diagnosing generators. Real nice laptops. Fully rugged, magnesium case, crazy water and dust ratings. They beat the hell out of the laptops. Stupid expensive though. The Toughbook 55 series is so much nicer on port selection. There's like 3 port adapters that slide into the laptop with many different types of ports. My client specifically needs serial. USB dongles don't work well with the proprietary diag cables that they have to use.

I've sold a few Panasonic Toughbooks to an electrician client of mine. They use them for programming and diagnosing generators. Real nice laptops. Fully rugged, magnesium case, crazy water and dust ratings. They beat the hell out of the laptops. Stupid expensive though. The Toughbook 55 series is so much nicer on port selection. There's like 3 port adapters that slide into the laptop with many different types of ports. My client specifically needs serial. USB dongles don't work well with the proprietary diag cables that they have to use.

Are they doing VT100 or something like that??

We've got a toughbook at work we use on our boat. Holy fuck we love that thing.

One thing that's greatly underappreciated about the thing is the velcro strap that's on the back, that lets you just strap it to whatever to put it in a convenient position when you're working on shit. And if you fuck up the strap and it falls, it'll handle it. Just strap it back up in a better way and get back to whatever shit needs doing. That machine was literally designed for configuration/diagnosis/whatever work.

New fans are in the MacBook Pro. Now to see if it's still dicky.

edit: the fans I bought off Amazon are, paradoxically, the same brand as the OEM ones (Nidec), with the same part numbers. I feel slightly reassured.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie