Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Man, I'm getting raped here. Comcast, 150mb, all non-premium channels, $150 per/m. ATT was offering half the bandwidth for roughly same price.

AT&T fiber wasn't available when we moved here 6 years ago, so I got comcast. $85 for 250mb. A friend that lives nearby mentioned his cheap rate and I signed up instantly when I found out how much cheaper it was. It was a welcomed bonus to not have comcast anymore.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Did all the WISP's in Maine die out?

That was such a huge thing back in the early oughts.

802.11b FTW.
No they're still around. I worked for one for 3.5 years. I've thought about starting my own WISP as I can see a US Cellular tower from my backyard. But they charge redonculous per month colo fees. Then insurance, certified tower climber, fiber to the tower, etc. Our town has covered by Spectrum primarily and TDS secondarily (what I have). I'm waiting for Starlink as a stepping stone until I can get fiber somehow.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
I may or may not have planned going full pirate radio back when i lived in vermont and putting an unauthorized microwave transmitter on a cell tower i could see on the neighboring mountain.
That was a BIG thing late 90s, early 2k in Tampa. We lived right next to a guy who ran a pretty high powered one. Then one day, the Feds kicked in the door of every pirate radio station in town. Obviously, they never came back after that.

• Haha
Reactions: Josh
I had something weird happen to my HA install yesterday. Not sure what it was, but I think it happened after I tried to install InfluxDB. After that, things started timing out and shitting out everywhere. Rather than troubleshoot it, I downloaded a new image and restored all the settings from backup. Took like 10 minutes and now everything is running great.