Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Don't buy more hard drives kids, buy stock in these pricks. While the market is down ;)
Xilinx has never set the world alight. It seems to me they're a bunch of clever dudes without a clue among them about how to make money (just speaking as someone who's worked with a bunch of xilinx and former-xilinx peeps).

Xilinx has never set the world alight. It seems to me they're a bunch of clever dudes without a clue among them about how to make money (just speaking as someone who's worked with a bunch of xilinx and former-xilinx peeps).
idk chief, I made almost 300% in 3 years last time I held them. I think 5G will float their raft high again about 2 years from now. And once again, I will jump off.
They're chip makers, I don't expect them to set the world on fire, just crank out some needed widgets until the market gets saturated. Rinse and repeat.

I've designed a lot with Xilinx stuff back when I was doing broadcast gear. Telecom gear like cellphone base stations, broadcast equipment, etc... are full of Xilinx parts. They're signal processing monsters that work beautifully in that sort of application.

I just don't see them getting used in the datacenter. I suppose there's HPC applications like making a giant password cracker or something, or perhaps doing realtime high speed packet inspection for NSA type applications...

also be aware @fly that consumer cards have a 2 stream encode limit. Quadros have no limit

you can however hack the nvidia cards, but its something that could be removed at any time with a driver update

its too bad your proc doesnt have the integrated encode cores, cause thats by far the best hardware option

if you need more capacity, the cheapest thing for you do is actually probably get a dually mobo and add another processor matching your current one

also be aware @fly that consumer cards have a 2 stream encode limit. Quadros have no limit

you can however hack the nvidia cards, but its something that could be removed at any time with a driver update

its too bad your proc doesnt have the integrated encode cores, cause thats by far the best hardware option

if you need more capacity, the cheapest thing for you do is actually probably get a dually mobo and add another processor matching your current one
Ya, apparently you just need to use hacked drivers. And I don't even use video on the thing, so what do I care if it never gets updates again?