Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Ladybutt's laptop died. Pulled the HD to try and transfer main files. Wont give me access to any of the stuff she actually needs. How do I get access? Anyone have a good tutorial?

I need to know kinda quick as I'm out of town next week for work and wont be able to help her.

@Domon @Jehannum

Ladybutt's laptop died. Pulled the HD to try and transfer main files. Wont give me access to any of the stuff she actually needs. How do I get access? Anyone have a good tutorial?

I need to know kinda quick as I'm out of town next week for work and wont be able to help her.

@Domon @Jehannum

more details needed. Do you just not have logical access? or does the disk not show up at all. Can you see the filesystem and partitions? What disk model?

If, however, you had a password protected laptop or computer Windows will automatically deny access to your hard drive. To bypass this issue you must take ownership over the User Folder. To do this:

• Access the files on the hard drive and right click on the “Users Folder” or “Documents and Settings” folder (depending on which version of Windows you are using).
  • Click on the “Security” tab in the newly opened window, and then press the “Advanced” button.
  • Navigate to the “Owner” tab and click the “Edit” button.
  • Left-click the “Administrators” group and check the “Replace owner on sub containers and objects” box.
  • Press “OK” and select “Yes” when the Windows Security pop up appears.
The taking ownership process can take a while to complete – depending on the size of your hard drive. However, once the process has finished you should be able to access all of your locked files.

Finally reinstalled Windows on my home PC last weekend. Original Win 7 Ultimate install from 2015 when I built the PC. Just installed Windows 10 Pro. Feels like a new PC. Was kind of a process to get going. Had to buy a utility to convert the SSD to GPT (I had a windows partition and an applications partition, didnt want to lose the apps partition). Got that converted. Then changed BIOS to UEFI. Then installed Windows 10. Then had to re-enable the RAID array for the storage drives. Then reinstall a couple dozen apps. Just need to install my old ass HP Laserjet 2200 printer.

im disappointed that USB-C hasnt really taken off. All we're seeing is something similar to microusb implementation where we end up with the legacy USB-A on one end and a usb-c on the other.

This is unsatisfactory, since theres not even remotely close to a comparable pin mapping. Standard usb-a only has 4 pins, and usb-c has 24. So you're losing a majority of your functionality :/

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
im disappointed that USB-C hasnt really taken off. All we're seeing is something similar to microusb implementation where we end up with the legacy USB-A on one end and a usb-c on the other.

This is unsatisfactory, since theres not even remotely close to a comparable pin mapping. Standard usb-a only has 4 pins, and usb-c has 24. So you're losing a majority of your functionality :/

USB-c is plenty popular for Macs.

Since it’s the only port you get now :p

meh. More pins, more potential problems. Sit tight - it will be surpassed shortly.