Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Macbook Pro was on the fritz yesterday. It would just shut down whenever I opened Cura (a problem, since I needed to slice some shit for Lily's project).

I figured a fan had failed or something.

Took the bottom off of it (stupid 5 point screws and all), and took it out to the garage and gave it a real good blowjob. I don't know how it managed to collect that much dust, but the fins on the heat pipe were more or less totally clogged.

Anyhow, shit works great now!
I got a free Dell M4700 from work under the same circumstances. Kept locking up and IT tossed it.

Taking the thing apart to get the entire thing clean was a shitty job, but hey, free laptop which is more powerful than anything else in my house.

Don't know if "Lily" wears makeup, but it's been my impression that laptops and keyboards gets tons of that shit stuck in them as fine particles and then other crap clings to that and it snowballs as the "filter" gets tighter. Fm keyboard - turn over and tap, tablespoon of schmutz falls out. M keyboard - 1/4 teaspoon, mainly food and hair. Women who wear actual coverup are the worst droper in that regard.
Nobody here wears makeup.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I got a free Dell M4700 from work under the same circumstances. Kept locking up and IT tossed it.

Taking the thing apart to get the entire thing clean was a shitty job, but hey, free laptop which is more powerful than anything else in my house.
Fortunately, the late 2013 MacBook Pro is designed fairly well with the exception of the battery (which is designed for its application, not for serviceability). There's a heatpipe that runs the length of the back to two fan-cooled heat exchangers. This is a picture of the integrated graphics version, but for my dual graphics (real ultimate GeForce powahhh) version, just imagine the heat spreader bolted down is a little longer, and the heat pipe on the right side with a little more severe angle.

h5tRgwQLNyEbKBZ3.huge.jpg

So all I had to do was pop the bottom off and aim my blow gun at the two ends, being careful not to go at an angle to the fins and bend them over.

I also blew out the fans, one of which I recall replacing at some point in the past because it was making an annoying grinding noise.

First 1Tb microSD card is now being sold.

First 1Tb microSD card is now being sold.

Check out that fancy URL unfurling!

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
Bill Gates and I ever end up on a deserted island I am fucking him in the ass and then using for fishbait. #settingupnewcraptop #fuckEdge

Edit/add: I have killed the beast.

Last edited:
Laptop is fairly old and it gets pretty hot when I start gaming. Need to re-paste my CPU and GPU I think. This something I can do, or should i find someone to do it?

Please keep in mind my luck with things that utilize magic smoke.

Laptop is fairly old and it gets pretty hot when I start gaming. Need to re-paste my CPU and GPU I think. This something I can do, or should i find someone to do it?

Is there an ifixit guide for your particular laptop?

you can do it. Its far more likely the fans are just all dusted up than the paste went bad.