Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Employer just had me switch his site hosting - he's been using previous host's email for years, pop with over 100 fucking folders. New host is imap.
Slice my wrists now.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
IIRC, POP3 mail is actually downloaded into the .pst (or whatever email software you're using). So it should already be local. No?
No. They have some very lame webmail software and it gives you no option of doing that. The address book, yes, easy-peasy as a csv. This is a known issue with them(if you didn't pay for the IMAP service) -have to move emails into the inbox. Subfolders are hidden to mail clients.

• Gravy
No. They have some very lame webmail software and it gives you no option of doing that. The address book, yes, easy-peasy as a csv. This is a known issue with them(if you didn't pay for the IMAP service) -have to move emails into the inbox. Subfolders are hidden to mail clients.
So they were only using webmail, gotcha. Well then tell the idiots to keep paying for GoDaddy until they don't need the emails anymore. It can't be that expensive!

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and Jehannum
So they were only using webmail, gotcha. Well then tell the idiots to keep paying for GoDaddy until they don't need the emails anymore. It can't be that expensive!
Nah, that's why I said slice my wrists - they'll be fucked by end of transferring this over. Yes, I am making the folders BY FUCKING HAND, moving files in batches to the inbox, pulling them over to the new folder in Outlook. Rinse and repeat, don't forget to delete. I'm in the "M"s - home stretch. UFing is really helping to break the monotony.
Off topic, but Godaddy doesn't even use cpanel. :tard:
New host is siteground - I use them for all my sites and any I build for others. Fast, steady, good pricing, clean backend, just totally un f'n cluttered.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and fly
I've done a Godaddy to Office 365 migration. I had the customer pay the upcharge to Godaddy to allow IMAP access. Then used Outlook to export to PST, then setup a new profile for O365, and import the PST. Disable IMAP filters on all folders. Done.

Can also use the built-in IMAP import tool in O365, but it takes longer in my experience (Rate limited).

I've done a Godaddy to Office 365 migration. I had the customer pay the upcharge to Godaddy to allow IMAP access. Then used Outlook to export to PST, then setup a new profile for O365, and import the PST. Disable IMAP filters on all folders. Done.

Can also use the built-in IMAP import tool in O365, but it takes longer in my experience (Rate limited).
Thanks man.
In hindsight I should have gone this route. idk, convincing an attorney to spend more money to save some work ;/
Fuck it, I'm done with it. Finally. Asshole definitely keeps way too much old email. It was obvious he slides a LOT of emails into the wrong folders - I didn't try to fix that shit. He is notoriously bad at using any kind of search function so he "lose"s a lot of shit. We have some kind of near screaming match AT LEAST once a week where I have to tell him "calm the fuck down, give me a few seconds and BOOM - there it is.":lolbow:

Thanks man.
In hindsight I should have gone this route. idk, convincing an attorney to spend more money to save some work ;/
Fuck it, I'm done with it. Finally. Asshole definitely keeps way too much old email. It was obvious he slides a LOT of emails into the wrong folders - I didn't try to fix that shit. He is notoriously bad at using any kind of search function so he "lose"s a lot of shit. We have some kind of near screaming match AT LEAST once a week where I have to tell him "calm the fuck down, give me a few seconds and BOOM - there it is.":lolbow:
Attorneys and doctors can be some of the worst clients to support. I have several dental practice clients who don't care about HIPAA in any way shape or form. "What??? I can't send patient XRAYS using my free Gmail account that I share with all of my staff?!?!!"

My Godaddy to O365 job thankfully was for a local Crossfit gym owner and she was easy to deal with. Explained to her that I needed to upgrade her free Godaddy email account to paid for one month to allow the data transfer easily. She had no problem spending the $7.99 or $9.99 whatever it was to get the migration to go.

Godaddy's branded version of O365 is shit too. It's their own setup and to migrate to a real O365 tenant, you have to perform a full migration. I'm told that Godaddy has finally gotten rid of this and is using regular O365 tenant with their CSP licenses, so migrating to another CSP is really simple and requires no migration.

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
How many years was it before airplanes were considered safe enough for the President to fly in? Should we have just stopped flying planes instead?
That had zero to do with safety. It had to do with up until FDR there was never a need for anyone to fly. And the only reason he did was the War. Prior to that they did everything the needed via rail and car. It wasn't like now where POTUS would travel all over the place. He stayed in DC where his job required him to be.

They probably hire expert laymen like @wetwille to do their networking.
:lol: I used to keep my networking certs up to date - out of date as they are I wouldn't create the abortion in the back room here. I'm neurotically neat & tide person when it comes to wiring and shit. They have someone from a local small business phone network service keep cobbling shit together here... The owner's GF setup the server so that is another f'n mess. *

It's almost like a visual presentation on telecommunications over the ages, all in a 3' square area.mess.jpg

• Gravy