Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Happiness is 24tb in the palm of your hand.

Dude threw in an enclosure and an extra disk at no cost.

f0a9cf3330d95d60cac95a0dd0db44d5.jpg

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

Yeah, theyre solid enclosures, I had some in the day back before i went rackmount.

I seriouly have no use for it though, i have an entire 4u 24 bay hotswap sitting idle from back when i had two huge 1tb drive arrays. all the desktops are either SSD or NVME now.

Either talk me into or out of my insanity.

I've been planning for a couple of years to migrate my Plex Media Server from a my gaming machine to a standalone setup.

Initially I was going to go with a QNAP NAS for this, but they are just so damn expensive. So now I'm thinking about going with Synology. But in order to be able to transcode, I have to get a lower capacity model.

I was thinking about getting a DS918+, jacking up the memory to 8GB and adding at least one NVMe SSD for caching. The issue is, that will barely cover the storage I want. So I plan on complementing it with a DX517 Expansion Unit.

Is the memory and SSD overkiill since it will more than likely be set up for Hardware Transcoding (CPU reliant)?

Is this a smart move or overall just plain stupid? The 718+ and 918+ are really the only non rack mountable solutions (and the only ones under $2K) that can handle transcoding so no matter, if I want to use Synology, I need the expansion unit.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
synology and qnap are both limited ultimately. What are your goals besides plex. How many drives, what kind of speeds needed, and what redundancy if any?

synology and qnap are both limited ultimately. What are your goals besides plex. How many drives, what kind of speeds needed, and what redundancy if any?
Plex is the only goal. This would be purely dedicated. It will be for myself and for others so the need to transcode is possibly there (since not every device can do direct streaming) My preference would be a maximum of 7 drives (8TB each) with another for redundancy. As to speed, since Plex is the only need, I'm fairly sure it's not an issue and would be using SATA (non SSD) drives.

Ryzen whatever in a dedicated PC.

Then use Stablebit Drivepool for the storage drives.
Sorta this. Swap out the Ryzen with anything that supports Intel QuickSync, so that you can do hardware en/decoding. That will *greatly* reduce your CPU requirements for transcoding. And then use SnapRAID for the backup, but you're going to want two parity drives instead of one.

Gah. Went to reinstall the gallery (menalto) that I've been running since 2000, and found out that it's been abandoned since 2014. Now I have to find another solution.

Anyone want my old Verizon MoCA gear? It's yours for shipping.

edit: Got 2 Actiontec routers.

ive got like 3 lyin around. Theyve never charged me for one, and just kinda replace them willy nilly whenver they suspect the problem might be the router

Sorta this. Swap out the Ryzen with anything that supports Intel QuickSync, so that you can do hardware en/decoding. That will *greatly* reduce your CPU requirements for transcoding. And then use SnapRAID for the backup, but you're going to want two parity drives instead of one.

My Ryzen 1600 with a 1050ti has zero issues with speed, fyi.

Not that I have dozens of users like you do. Just 5 total.