Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

i probably would go ZFS if i could just fix an array size so huge that i know i would never have to upgrade.

i probably would go ZFS if i could just fix an array size so huge that i know i would never have to upgrade.
My current MO is: build an array, run it until I feel hinky about it (which currently seems to be about drive warranty + 2 years), then build a new array and migrate.

I don't see any reason to resize or grow/shrink arrays. The vast bulk of my usage of the current array is PVR-related, the remainder being about 300GB of family photos and about 100GB of important PDFs.

My current MO is: build an array, run it until I feel hinky about it (which currently seems to be about drive warranty + 2 years), then build a new array and migrate.

I don't see any reason to resize or grow/shrink arrays. The vast bulk of my usage of the current array is PVR-related, the remainder being about 300GB of family photos and about 100GB of important PDFs.

yeah, i forsee myself running out of space much more often in the near future due to two things

1) Auto-downloading really working well now and swapping out all my old stuff for high quality copies
2) 50gb 4k files.

Adding 20TBs all at once should help though. Although i think ill allocated 4-8TBs of that to hot spares until i feel more comfortable with the seagates. If they behave for a while, ill slowly roll the hot spares back into the array for usable space.

It's overblown if you don't care about whether your data gets hosed or not, I guess.
the dude that keeps propogating it (ZFS dev by the way) does not understand URE behavior on modern hard disks.

His claim is that during a raid rebuild, you're guaranteed to have a URE (unrecoverable READ error), which will then break the rebuild. But that aint how URE's work on modern hard drives. The unrecoverable in URE means that the standard read attempt timeout has occurred. usually 3 tries. Modern HD firmwares have provisions to account for UREs and allow flexibility when the try limit is exceeded rather than just slamming the disk head down and saying "fuck you drive is dead" like they used to