Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Got fed up with Starlink's "sorry you can't watch TV in the rain / you ain't ever getting work done because your workplace VPN won't stop dropping / oh shit important software update lets reboot your dish so you have no internet for 5 minutes while you're in the middle of trying to do shit" shit internet and cancelled it.

Now running a little PoE powered LTE modem we had left over from the day job, with a cheap 500gb/mo data cellphone plan SIM card stuffed into it. Internet is spotless now, and $100 less to boot.

Sadly I still have to get mad at starlink at the day job.

It's effected by rain. :wtf:
Yep, turns out that water does a real good job of attenuating satellite frequency bands, and if you're trying to shoot packets through a microwave link at close to the Shannon limit through water/rain/moisture then you're gonna lose some of em.

Like here's a rainy morning where my work VPN wouldn't stay connected, straight out of the starlink app. By all means tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Screenshot_20240508_113757_Starlink.jpg

Rain fade is a real thing. Whodathunkit.

light lights out GIF

Yep, turns out that water does a real good job of attenuating satellite frequency bands, and if you're trying to shoot packets through a microwave link at close to the Shannon limit through water/rain/moisture then you're gonna lose some of em.

Like here's a rainy morning where my work VPN wouldn't stay connected, straight out of the starlink app. By all means tell me what I'm doing wrong.

View attachment 18552
That's wild. Seems there might be some high-perf antenna that handles it better. Crazy though.