Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

So @Domon, switching to the Omada router worked. Full 500/500 now. Pretty reasonably priced gear too.

Router - $60
Two Wifi6 APs - $100/ea
Omada SDN software for wifi mesh - free

And now I get all sorts of pretty pictures like this.

1674140700495.png

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Current home desktop is a Dell T5810 workstation with a 22 core Xeon E5-2696 V4 in it.

And a T7810 just became available to me, basically the same machine but with two CPU sockets, currently outfitted with a single 8 core V3. If the price of 2696's hadn't fucking doubled since I bought the first one, I'd be tempted to do something dumb...

Current home desktop is a Dell T5810 workstation with a 22 core Xeon E5-2696 V4 in it.

And a T7810 just became available to me, basically the same machine but with two CPU sockets, currently outfitted with a single 8 core V3. If the price of 2696's hadn't fucking doubled since I bought the first one, I'd be tempted to do something dumb...
Sounds like something I would do, do it

Although those procs are getting old enough that my six core ryzen has more processing power than all 22 of those cores

I'd certainly pay you to ship me one of those bitches. The server needs an upgrade from its current i7-3770-ness.

I'll trade canned food or nib queen sheet set or... slightly used leather gunbelt or... 3 years of playboys (the articles are actually good) for a monitor

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: fly
Sounds like something I would do, do it
Conclusion: ain't gonna bother, because there's no good way to run two CPUs and my video card unless I do something wack like roll my own power distribution card for the machine. So it'll cost me like $500 and a bunch of time and effort for 44 cores of lulz.

Gonna rob the RAM and bigger power supply from it, stuff them in my machine and leave it at that, I think.

Conclusion: ain't gonna bother, because there's no good way to run two CPUs and my video card unless I do something wack like roll my own power distribution card for the machine. So it'll cost me like $500 and a bunch of time and effort for 44 cores of lulz.

Gonna rob the RAM and bigger power supply from it, stuff them in my machine and leave it at that, I think.
and thats why OEM boards are a pita. A plain old supermicro or whatever would just take 2 8-pin EPS, and normal pcie

and thats why OEM boards are a pita. A plain old supermicro or whatever would just take 2 8-pin EPS, and normal pcie
Yup. Here's the power distribution board in the machine.
m6np2.jpg
PSU slides into the card edge connector.
POWER1 goes to the motherboard, and also splits off to disk drive power connectors and whatever.
POWER_CPU1 and POWER_CPU2 are good for 36A each.
POWER_VGA1 is 18A only, with the factory harness splitting it to 2 6-pin connectors.

I'm currently running POWER_CPU2 -> 8 pin GPU with a homemade cable, and POWER_VGA1 -> 6 pin GPU.

To run two CPUs and a video card, I figure I could fit two 8-pin connectors where the current POWER_VGA1 connector is, adding a "POWER_VGA2" connector. I'd have to figure out the pinout of the card edge connector/power supply because the power supply distributes anywhere from 3 to 10 12V rails depending on whether the installed PSU is 425W or 1300W or a few options in between. It's doable but a waste of time/money.

and of course the cpu power couldnt just be 8pin EPS, has to some fucky proprietary 10pin bullshit. Else everything else would support a normal ATX PSU (although i bet the case isnt fabbed for it)

PCIE looks standard as does the 24pin.

18A aint bad on the VGA, depends what card you have though. You honestly might just be able to run a custom cable.

Are these good?
What are you planning to do with it? It'll work fine as a doorstop, dunno about as a hard disk, I usually get what Backblaze recommends in their hard drive reliability papers, and that particular Seagate hasn't made it in yet.

What are you planning to do with it? It'll work fine as a doorstop, dunno about as a hard disk, I usually get what Backblaze recommends in their hard drive reliability papers, and that particular Seagate hasn't made it in yet.
Wasn't it you that ranted about the Backblaze reports? Someone here was...

Wasn't it you that ranted about the Backblaze reports? Someone here was...
sounds like something I'd do.

Kristen Bell Idk GIF by Team Coco