Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

assuming its just a passive sub, you likely can swap in any board of matching wattage/impedence/range to the drivers. itll be a little janky, but theres no too much "smarts" in speakers. Just power drivers.

I don't see anything on that page that's my problem.

I don't think it can be a fuse either, as it works for about 5-10 minutes before going crazy.

edit: I also PMd the dude there that repairs them. Seems according to this post, it might be worth saving if possible.

edit2: Dude replied that it 'needs refurbished' at its $65. No idea what that means, and I don't think I care. Seems like a steal.

Last edited:
Laptops $1000 or less that can run CAD/CAM occasionally but otherwise just be average pc use? What's good? Looking to walk into a store and walk out with one today.

Last edited:
Laptops $1000 or less that can run CAD/CAM occasionally but otherwise just be average pc use? What's good? Looking to walk into a store and walk out with one today.

$999

I've got a ~8 year old MSi laptop that still handles Solidworks '22.
Get whatever gaming laptop you want and you'll be ok.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Finally finishing the shell game of getting my new unraid array up.

1) Data is all successfully TXed at validated. I managed to resist making a giant zfs array... for now

Prior Systems:

1) Main PC : 4U 20bay hotswap Ryzen 2700x, Ryzen7 2700X, 32gb ram, 68TB NTFS RAID6 Areca Array
2) Unraid PC: 2u Intel I5-7600, 16gb RAM, 1tb nvme only
3) Spare 4u: 16bay hotswap, Areca RAID6 1883ix-24 24 core old-ass-xeon, 80GB ram, randomass-test-drives. Wasnt running

Pulled the boards from all 3, cleaned up the chassis real nice, did good wire routing and then swapped the main pc into the spare 4u case, the unraid mobo into the main pc 4u, and decomm'ed the old xeon.

They all boot, but ive got software work to do tonight to get everything running, and some new cables to run since i'm getting them out of the vertical rack situation in the network closet. Created a new 12U space under the stairs for the noisier stuff (although these are "silenced") to make the network closet in the living room silent.

Bonus points to having the network closet under the stairs are that I can vent heat where I want depending on the season, which I couldnt do in the network closet. Summer, i can push it outside, winter I can either push it straight back into the house or directly into the heat-pump intake vent on the water heater. Not sure which is best from an energy perspective. Probably pushing it back into the house.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Wooo boy, that was a spectacular failure. The PSU on the new server just went out in a spectacular arc fault manner. Big big arcing noise, magic smoke. Older Corsair, but I'm sure glad that happened when I was here than when I wasn't.

Electricity makes some scary ass noises.

Doesn't look like it trashed the motherboard.... But the 600 bucks in hard drives are an unknown. Probably ok since the motherboard is, but who knows.

Will test later, I'm a bit jittery.

Wooo boy, that was a spectacular failure. The PSU on the new server just went out in a spectacular arc fault manner. Big big arcing noise, magic smoke. Older Corsair, but I'm sure glad that happened when I was here than when I wasn't.

Electricity makes some scary ass noises.

Doesn't look like it trashed the motherboard.... But the 600 bucks in hard drives are an unknown. Probably ok since the motherboard is, but who knows.

Will test later, I'm a bit jittery.
🤔 Did you take apart the PSU yet? I'd be interested to know how it failed.