Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

this is gonna be a fun data transfer. Gonna have to stack the new drives on top of the 4u, then move them into the caddies after the tx is complete. I have two 4u hotswaps, but the I dont like the other one cause it has 4 less bays and the backplane is discrete SATA connectors rather than miniSAS.

My dumb ass has been researching ZFS and considering making a giant raidz2. I fortuantely have realized enough about myself to know how i like to overcomplicate shit, and not do it. So hopefully ill be able to resist and just do straight up individual drives with parity in unraid.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Jehannum
this is gonna be a fun data transfer. Gonna have to stack the new drives on top of the 4u, then move them into the caddies after the tx is complete. I have two 4u hotswaps, but the I dont like the other one cause it has 4 less bays and the backplane is discrete SATA connectors rather than miniSAS.

My dumb ass has been researching ZFS and considering making a giant raidz2. I fortuantely have realized enough about myself to know how i like to overcomplicate shit, and not do it. So hopefully ill be able to resist and just do straight up individual drives with parity in unraid.
I have a 4 bay eSATA enclosure for that job. Each time I've built a new array, it starts life in the external, transfers the data, and then the drives go into the box in the place of the old ones.

JBOD is the way. POWER THROUGH!!!

I have a 4 bay eSATA enclosure for that job. Each time I've built a new array, it starts life in the external, transfers the data, and then the drives go into the box in the place of the old ones.
that works when you're going JBOD to JBOD.... not so much when you cant remove a single disk from the original array and replace it with a new disk until you've pulled ALL the data, cause it a singular raid6 array.

ya'll gotta remember that i started down this path of giant RAID6 arrays before SSDs were even a thing. Back when i started, my array was the fastest thing out there in consumer space by 10X. Most spinning disks could push 80-90 MB/s, and i was reading and writing at 1500 MB/s due to the controller and pure # of drives.

And yes, I had use cases. I was generating huge sets of crypto tables that were gated by disk write speed. In addition to all my linux ISOs.

But these days, with SSDs... i just dont need the whole "cold array" to be that fast anymore. I might even save some power cause my disks can actually spin down now, since im mostly WORO (write once, read occasionally)

fuck, I just realized a glitch in my plan. I need a way to power the SAS drives during TX.

Options:

1) Amazon product ASIN B01BW1U1GS
HBA MiniSAS > 8087-8482 sas connectors with discrete sata-molexes

2) Find a cheap backplane on ebay that has build in power distro for the sas drives and mini-SAS connectors.

Domon'ing it up would definitely point my to option 2. But the easy... but ugly option is just to get the 8087-8482 cables, and run a fuckton of molex.

fuck, I just realized a glitch in my plan. I need a way to power the SAS drives during TX.

Options:

1) Amazon product ASIN B01BW1U1GS
HBA MiniSAS > 8087-8482 sas connectors with discrete sata-molexes

2) Find a cheap backplane on ebay that has build in power distro for the sas drives and mini-SAS connectors.

Domon'ing it up would definitely point my to option 2. But the easy... but ugly option is just to get the 8087-8482 cables, and run a fuckton of molex.
It's temporary, just get the cables. :lol:

@fly gonna start pre-clear on 112TB today. Lets see if any of my used drives melt. They shouldnt, theyre SAS and built for this.