Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

I came home to a blown poe module on my main infrastructure switch :( all my cameras were down, as well as my POE APs.

Now i have to resort to this bullshittery until a new switch gets here (cheaper than a new POE module, and a big upgrade)

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
24 volt passive POE can suck a giant dick.

I wanted to put it on the switch end, but i wasnt gonna risk injecting some random port with 24v non-negotiated power unless i was dead certain it was the AP port... which i wasnt, since my labeling is atrocious.

24 volt passive POE can suck a giant dick.

I wanted to put it on the switch end, but i wasnt gonna risk injecting some random port with 24v non-negotiated power unless i was dead certain it was the AP port... which i wasnt, since my labeling is atrocious.
You've set up an Amazon datacenter with four 10g drops per room and your labeling is shit? What in the fucking fuckleberry.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum and Domon
Yeah UBNT still using 24VDC passive for some of their gear is annoying. Have to buy the converter so they can make more money and one more item to fail, instead of just rolling with PoE standards compliant voltage.

Yeah UBNT still using 24VDC passive for some of their gear is annoying. Have to buy the converter so they can make more money and one more item to fail, instead of just rolling with PoE standards compliant voltage.
that ap does proper 802.11af, i just dont have an individual injector lying around.

Replaced the infrastructure switch with this:

that ap does proper 802.11af, i just dont have an individual injector lying around.

Replaced the infrastructure switch with this:

I was looking at those on Ebay yesterday. Pretty cheap, I just wonder how loud they are.

I'm running out of POE ports. Been adding Amcrest cameras through Scrypted/Koush to put them in Homekit.

yeah, half the internet would disagree with you for homelab use. And yes, theyre deprecated, which is why its only 120 bucks.... my current switch is muuuuch more deprecated though. Theres also continued firmware updates, and free license unlock for all features on em.

and its been great for years (until it died...)

I was looking at those on Ebay yesterday. Pretty cheap, I just wonder how loud they are.

I'm running out of POE ports. Been adding Amcrest cameras through Scrypted/Koush to put them in Homekit.
that version is completely silenceable. 3 fans for the poe, 1 fan without, swappable.

Look at this thread:

yeah, half the internet would disagree with you for homelab use. And yes, theyre deprecated, which is why its only 120 bucks.... my current switch is muuuuch more deprecated though. Theres also continued firmware updates, and free license unlock for all features on em.

and its been great for years (until it died...)
My use isn't in the "homelab" setting, whatever that means, but good luck with keeping your infrastructure structuring or w/e you expect out of it.