Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Just recycled about 400 pounds of old computers. An i3-2120, an i5-2400, a Pentium-D, all in various states of dress. I probably should have taken more, but there was some stuff I just couldn't see ejecting.

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
Just recycled about 400 pounds of old computers. An i3-2120, an i5-2400, a Pentium-D, all in various states of dress. I probably should have taken more, but there was some stuff I just couldn't see ejecting.
Some of it was probably better than the last desktop I had. AMD Phenom 2 X4 Black Edition on a 770 board. Which was still really fast. I still have to build out the board fly sent me. Looking for a case.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Some of it was probably better than the last desktop I had. AMD Phenom 2 X4 Black Edition on a 770 board. Which was still really fast. I still have to build out the board fly sent me. Looking for a case.
Would have cost more to ship a case you probably wouldn't like (I prefer beige bullshit from the mid 1990s) than it would be for you to just go to a computer recycler local to you and pick one up out of their e-waste bins.

Went for a couple drinks last night with a friend that does infosec audits / pen testing. One job they recently did... a company in the US that runs prisons kept having prisoner records deleted, they assumed it was hackers trying to break people out of prison or something.

Problem #1, their internal website was accessible externally.

Problem #2, Filling in your username/password would send you over to the access controlled side of the site, but if you knew a valid URL on the access controlled side you could just go there directly and bypass the login. No cookies, persistent ID in the URL or anything like that for authentication. If multiple people logged in you had no idea who would have deleted what, just "this person logged in at that time".

Problem #3: And once you were on the access controlled side and viewing records, you'd delete them by clicking a link, and a HTTP GET would do the delete. Turns out a web crawler was somehow getting on the access controlled side of the website and deleting their records. Oops.

They asked about fixing it, but it's a 90's-fablous website using compiled cgi stuff on the server side to do all the database shit, and there's no source code available. Thing needs to be torn up and rebuilt.

Just in case y'all are wondering where your public money is being spent.

• Haha
Reactions: Josh and fly
so all those requirements, except vlan capability is on your AP choice.

Any layer 3 switch will do vlans.

How many ports do you need? What is your pallate for CLI vs pretty-ass GUIs?
How many APs?
What Wifi Rev?

so all those requirements, except vlan capability is on your AP choice.

Any layer 3 switch will do vlans.

How many ports do you need? What is your pallate for CLI vs pretty-ass GUIs?
How many APs?
What Wifi Rev?
1 AP. Don't care *too* much about wifi revision. 4 ports is enough, as I can just add a switch.

The D-Link you shit on me for has all that. You could also just set up a spare pc and make it a router with bad
I doubt it does mesh.

And not to be a dick, cause I know you take a rash of shit for 'Google answers', but I was eliciting boots on the ground suggestions. Have you actually used that router?

I doubt it does mesh.

And not to be a dick, cause I know you take a rash of shit for 'Google answers', but I was eliciting boots on the ground suggestions. Have you actually used that router?
No. I've used previous models. I don't actually recognize that one. I mentioned sdn because that's what I used it for. 8 computers running off one FiOS connection.

Keep in mind I'm not a tech. Before that I had everything running through a P4 with 8 nics in it and a Linux router.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
I doubt it does mesh.

mesh is an AP function, not a switch function.

You didnt answer the CLI question, so im gonna assume GUI is preferred.

Ubiquiti Edgerouter or USG
Small ubiquiti POE 802.11at switch (none of that 24 passive ubiquiti bullshit)
whatever AP is best for your application

the alternative is mikrotik gear, which is vastly superior, but pretty steep on the learning curve

as for boots on the ground, ive done both solutions, as well as full enterprise shit. I obviously prefer full enterprise shit.

mesh is an AP function, not a switch function.

You didnt answer the CLI question, so im gonna assume GUI is preferred.

Ubiquiti Edgerouter or USG
Small ubiquiti POE 802.11at switch (none of that 24 passive ubiquiti bullshit)
whatever AP is best for your application

the alternative is mikrotik gear, which is vastly superior, but pretty steep on the learning curve

as for boots on the ground, ive done both solutions, as well as full enterprise shit. I obviously prefer full enterprise shit.
Yeah full enterprise is always vastly superior and easier to set up. You could run this through the shittiest BSD sdn with the right knowledge though.