Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

welp, looks like the garage PC is in good shape now, just have to go get a big TV for it and hook up the sound system.

It's the Optiplex 790 that I just put an i7 2600k and 32GB of RAM into (also a low profile Geforce GT640 that was on the shelf). It'll run AEM tuner and Holley's sniper EFI tuner in the garage. Is it me, or are the NICs in these things just utter shit? I was having to reset the fuckin TCP/IP stack every other boot. Dropped an 802.11 card in instead and now it's fine. Intel really dropped the ball with that particular NIC shitset.

Now, on to the Jetson TK1 for some zoneminder fun. Gotta figure out how to flash an image onto the bastard first though.

I just went through my attic "computer shit" boxes and threw out a pc at least twice as good as that :p and several set of components at least as good.
Well, if you find a more decenter graphics card that's half height, I'd be interested.

The AEM and Holley software hasn't changed since windows 8 was a thing, so I'm not particularly worried about performance.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
My kids computers are now twice as good as it, since they're 4th gen core i7s. The boy had this optiplex (with an i3 2120 and a GeForce GTX 1650 ti) right up until I upgraded him over the Christmas break.

Computers have been "good enough" for most shit for a good long time.

pZBh9My.jpg

/dev/dri removed to test if it would transcode without it. Someone reported that it somehow did, but obviously that did not work.

that looks fine. You're not passing /dev/dri which is good (i think.... make sure its not present in advanced view)