Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Asus has always been my go-to motherboard brand. Evga for GPU brand. A lot of the critics say AMD cleans up Intel's plate for dinner. Cheaper and way faster. I'm still pretty steadfast with using Intel though. Really any current gen i7 CPU ought to be fine.
Yeah, the compiler and firmware support for AMD is coming, but it's definitely not even 2 9s worth of reliable yet.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
I'm planning on getting a sound card for my next PC build.
when analog audio out on the mobo was the default options, id agree with you. Ive had any number of xonars and sound blasters over the years. But now that audio is digital pcm or dolby straight on the hdmi channel I honestly dont feel the need anymore.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mikeawesome
cases dont need to be as big anymore now that we dont have 5.25 or 3.5 bays. The most limiting factor in case size is the gpu length. Smaller case = easier to move air in and out with less fans, therefore quieter
Yeah I just personally would never go with a case so small. No room for options. I like options.

when analog audio out on the mobo was the default options, id agree with you. Ive had any number of xonars and sound blasters over the years. But now that audio is digital pcm or dolby straight on the hdmi channel I honestly dont feel the need anymore.
I want to get more into making gameplay videos, and from what I'm reading, dealing with multi-channel audio recordings is much easier with certain sound cards.

cases dont need to be as big anymore now that we dont have 5.25 or 3.5 bays. The most limiting factor in case size is the gpu length. Smaller case = easier to move air in and out with less fans, therefore quieter
I remember back in the day I had an aluminum case with a window in the side and that thing was HUEG
Also had a blue light inside and about 6 fans on the back
I even took the aluminum bay covers and put handles on them, then had them stuck to the cd tray with velcro
It was a bit noisy but it was fuckin awesome

what ram you have in your 8700k system? Going up to 32GB these days is a nice bump and if that ram isnt too slow, maybe just do an additional 2x8 of the same speed that you have? Edit: You should find a mATX mobo with 4 slots.

Also.... that 8700k is surprisingly weak... my gen 2 ryzen (2700X) with the same cores beats it by almost 50%. But as you noted, you're probably not cpu limited.

What res are you gaming at, 4k or 1440p?

what ram you have in your 8700k system? Going up to 32GB these days is a nice bump and if that ram isnt too slow, maybe just do an additional 2x8 of the same speed that you have? Edit: You should find a mATX mobo with 4 slots.

Also.... that 8700k is surprisingly weak... my gen 2 ryzen (2700X) with the same cores beats it by almost 50%. But as you noted, you're probably not cpu limited.

What res are you gaming at, 4k or 1440p?
LOL, he has a Ryzen in there.