Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

you could get an equivalent sized sata ssd for the price of the adapter then most likely and you should leave the nvme drive for somewhere that can take advantage of it

what is the nvme drive. Gotta check if its got SATA command rollback support. If it only talks NVME, you're right, there isnt an adapter.

Starting to look at building a new gaming PC, and I'm not sure as to what CPU i should get. I don't want to spend too much on the CPU as most of my budget is going to the GPU.

I currently have an i7 8700K. I don't think my current CPU has ever been a bottleneck.

Also kinda feel a little overwhelmed with deciding on a motherboard too.

What motherboard brands to you guys like/avoid?

Don't really care these days as long as it has enough nvme slots and pcie lanes. I like stuff that can do at least 2 full length x16 slots at 8x electrical minimum

Also kinda feel a little overwhelmed with deciding on a motherboard too.

What motherboard brands to you guys like/avoid?
Asus has always been my go-to motherboard brand. Evga for GPU brand. A lot of the critics say AMD cleans up Intel's plate for dinner. Cheaper and way faster. I'm still pretty steadfast with using Intel though. Really any current gen i7 CPU ought to be fine.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Don't really care these days as long as it has enough nvme slots and pcie lanes. I like stuff that can do at least 2 full length x16 slots at 8x electrical minimum
yeah i want at least 2 nvme slots. but apart from that, I'm not sure I need anything else.

Asus has always been my go-to motherboard brand. Evga for GPU brand. A lot of the critics say AMD cleans up Intel's plate for dinner. Cheaper and way faster. I'm still pretty steadfast with using Intel though. Really any current gen i7 CPU ought to be fine.
Bang for buck, it's hard to beat the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X. I'm not sure of any Intel CPUs that competes with it in price and performance.

my latest build with the cooler master nr200. best case ever. all 5 panels are removable for easy access. the cooler i got is too tall for the side bracket but I won't need the bracket when i get a new video card. no spinning drive in this build

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: Josh and wetwillie