Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

yeah, my mikrotik stuff has been flawless and dead stable. UBNT is seeming more and more like the Apple of the networking world. Shiny and closed ecosystem.
They have a company history of ADHD. "Look omg new shiny feature!" Cancels said feature 2 years later after barely rolling it out. They need to stick with core products and stop producing weird goofball items nobody wants. And get a better dev team / methodology.

Not sure if I mentioned this before. I accidentally knocked the Starlink PoE injector off a shelf a couple weeks ago; came crashing down onto the concrete basement floor and broke the PoE jack in the injector. I opened a support ticket with Starlink asking if I could buy a replacement PoE injector since the damage was obviously my fault. They did a standard RMA.... for EVERYTHING. I had to pack up Dishy, cables, router (which I don't use), and the broken PoE injector and send it back to them. Thankfully I saved the original box. It should be delivered to them today, then wait for the replacement Dishy package to be sent back to me. Disappointed Starlink wouldn't just send a replacement PoE injector.

I am now re-thinking having Dishy on the roof, and instead put a post in the lawn somewhere and run underground conduit to pull the network cable back through into the house. Because I don't see myself getting on an icy roof in the middle of winter to take down Dishy if it fails.

Also I need to get a proper network rack or at least a backboard in the basement to mount networking shit to.

Speaking of Starlink, I went on a roadtrip with a friend on Saturday to check out a newer Starlink ground station that is like 2 hours north of me. Not much to see. Lots of fans making noise. Occasionally I'd hear the receivers move/reposition themselves. My friend asked a good question. Starlink installs the ground station receivers on concrete pads. Not secured for frost heaving/ground movement. He wondered if they do a daily reposition test each day to ensure accurate movement.

215279256_10158777757314262_8421177438064659891_n.jpg
Ground station site. Located behind a town office and playground. I haven't checked the tax maps to find out if they bought a chunk of land from the town or they have some type of long term lease from the town.

211554839_10158777756619262_2186098765260009191_n.jpg
Fiber optic splice case that feeds the Starlink ground station. It's the round tube like object hanging below the cable on the left of the photo.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and fly
Speaking of Starlink, I went on a roadtrip with a friend on Saturday to check out a newer Starlink ground station that is like 2 hours north of me. Not much to see. Lots of fans making noise. Occasionally I'd hear the receivers move/reposition themselves. My friend asked a good question. Starlink installs the ground station receivers on concrete pads. Not secured for frost heaving/ground movement. He wondered if they do a daily reposition test each day to ensure accurate movement.

View attachment 14514
Ground station site. Located behind a town office and playground. I haven't checked the tax maps to find out if they bought a chunk of land from the town or they have some type of long term lease from the town.

View attachment 14516
Fiber optic splice case that feeds the Starlink ground station. It's the round tube like object hanging below the cable on the left of the photo.
So, this thing sort of... feeds internet into the constellation?

Or is it more like a control station?

Not sure if I mentioned this before. I accidentally knocked the Starlink PoE injector off a shelf a couple weeks ago; came crashing down onto the concrete basement floor and broke the PoE jack in the injector. I opened a support ticket with Starlink asking if I could buy a replacement PoE injector since the damage was obviously my fault. They did a standard RMA.... for EVERYTHING. I had to pack up Dishy, cables, router (which I don't use), and the broken PoE injector and send it back to them. Thankfully I saved the original box. It should be delivered to them today, then wait for the replacement Dishy package to be sent back to me. Disappointed Starlink wouldn't just send a replacement PoE injector.

I am now re-thinking having Dishy on the roof, and instead put a post in the lawn somewhere and run underground conduit to pull the network cable back through into the house. Because I don't see myself getting on an icy roof in the middle of winter to take down Dishy if it fails.

Also I need to get a proper network rack or at least a backboard in the basement to mount networking shit to.
id have just replaced the poe block myself rather than packing everything up

I understand the phased array antenna is pretty power heavy itself, but I cant help but wonder if they coulda moved some of the supporting electronics back to a base station and kept only the processings and basic control at dishy

I understand the phased array antenna is pretty power heavy itself, but I cant help but wonder if they coulda moved some of the supporting electronics back to a base station and kept only the processings and basic control at dishy
I can guarantee the massively-parallel signal chain, beamforming blah blah blah they do in dishy eats 95% of the power, and there's no way to move that outside the dish.

Look at the guts of the thing: hundreds of mixers, dozens of quad-channel RxTx ICs... all this shit operates at tens of GHz and that shit's power hungry.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie